Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discontinue Offering Shigefusa adn Marukoyoshi

Here is a quick update.

Devin Thomas will supply me with several types of steel - damascus, plain, and san mai construction steel (plain and damascus cladding), and as a part of our ongoing relationship, he will help me with an optimal heat treat for his steel as I will be doing heat treating myself in my workshop. I am very excited about this.

I would like to start with carbon, sami-carbon, and stainless setup and adjust as the time goes by.

Each blade will be thoroughly tested for RC hardness, abrasion, edge retention, sharpness etc and I will report what I find without distortion or hype - if I say the knife is 62RC, that means I got the reading from a hardness tester, not a guess. I have the equipment on hand. I will also test against performance knives, as well as send knives to be evaluated in professional environment.

I think I have a pretty good idea what I like to see in my kitchen knife, so now it is time for start experimenting. I will try not to have it interfere with my regular custom work, but I will have to scale it down, once I start making knives for sale.

Thanks everybody for your support and encouragement.

Marko

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Awesome. I need to get on your list, Marko. (Where is that "drool" smiley when you need it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    How about a Shige clone in more user-friendly steel?
    I am heat treating (practicing) 52100 this very moment. I am in the shop.

M
    Alright, it looks like I won't have a blue Xmas after all.

Now, where's that signup sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Alright, it looks like I won't have a blue Xmas after all.

Now, where's that signup sheet?
    A while back I promised to make 180mm 64RC gyuto in 52100 for a member here. That will be my first project, to come up with a right heat treat, grind, finish, etc. My feeling is I will have to go back to a drawing board a few times before this project is completed and I will end up making a few knives that will go to friends and family (seconds). Once I am comfortable about quality (grind, finish, performance), I will then offer to the general public. It will probably be between 2-3 months.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Good luck M.

Custome knives, and and custom accessories at a one stop shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    A while back I promised to make 180mm 64RC gyuto in 52100 for a member here...
    I was under the impression that the sweet spot for 52100 in terms of carbide size and hardness was in the low 60's. I can't say I know where I got this from...

@ tk59
    When properly heat treated, it gets 67RC, and then it is drawn to a preferred hardness (tempering).

@Bao
    that would be very convenient, won't it?

M

Im really looking forward to your knives Marko

And it will be awesome when you finnish my Soba Kiri. I just keep wondering what the saya will look like

I don't mean to be rude, OD but *** do you want a freakin' soba kiri for?