Quantcast
Discontinue Offering Shigefusa adn Marukoyoshi - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discontinue Offering Shigefusa adn Marukoyoshi

Here is a quick update.

Devin Thomas will supply me with several types of steel - damascus, plain, and san mai construction steel (plain and damascus cladding), and as a part of our ongoing relationship, he will help me with an optimal heat treat for his steel as I will be doing heat treating myself in my workshop. I am very excited about this.

I would like to start with carbon, sami-carbon, and stainless setup and adjust as the time goes by.

Each blade will be thoroughly tested for RC hardness, abrasion, edge retention, sharpness etc and I will report what I find without distortion or hype - if I say the knife is 62RC, that means I got the reading from a hardness tester, not a guess. I have the equipment on hand. I will also test against performance knives, as well as send knives to be evaluated in professional environment.

I think I have a pretty good idea what I like to see in my kitchen knife, so now it is time for start experimenting. I will try not to have it interfere with my regular custom work, but I will have to scale it down, once I start making knives for sale.

Thanks everybody for your support and encouragement.

Marko

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Awesome. I need to get on your list, Marko. (Where is that "drool" smiley when you need it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    How about a Shige clone in more user-friendly steel?
    I am heat treating (practicing) 52100 this very moment. I am in the shop.

M
    Alright, it looks like I won't have a blue Xmas after all.

Now, where's that signup sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Alright, it looks like I won't have a blue Xmas after all.

Now, where's that signup sheet?
    A while back I promised to make 180mm 64RC gyuto in 52100 for a member here. That will be my first project, to come up with a right heat treat, grind, finish, etc. My feeling is I will have to go back to a drawing board a few times before this project is completed and I will end up making a few knives that will go to friends and family (seconds). Once I am comfortable about quality (grind, finish, performance), I will then offer to the general public. It will probably be between 2-3 months.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Good luck M.

Custome knives, and and custom accessories at a one stop shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    A while back I promised to make 180mm 64RC gyuto in 52100 for a member here...
    I was under the impression that the sweet spot for 52100 in terms of carbide size and hardness was in the low 60's. I can't say I know where I got this from...

@ tk59
    When properly heat treated, it gets 67RC, and then it is drawn to a preferred hardness (tempering).

@Bao
    that would be very convenient, won't it?

M

-Niels Bohr

Im really looking forward to your knives Marko

And it will be awesome when you finnish my Soba Kiri. I just keep wondering what the saya will look like

I don't mean to be rude, OD but *** do you want a freakin' soba kiri for?

+ Reply to Thread