Discontinue Offering Shigefusa adn Marukoyoshi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I will no longer offer Shigefusa and Marukoyoshi other than what I have on hand. I will still offer custom work for those interested.

Marko

Marko what do you have available? Will you bring them to the ECG?

Orders already placed will still be good, right?

Matt Stephens

Those that were, yes, otherwise, I will refund money or offer a substitute.

I expected it and in a way, I am relieved. Shigefusa reactivity and Yoshikane geometry I have always felt uneasy about.

I will apply what I have learned and address the weaknesses in making my own knives. Will report in a due time.

M

Marko, I was watching from the sidelines and I'm a little bit disappointed to read this. I know you'll come up with something impressive, but still....

Well shoot, there goes my Xmas present to myself. I was all excited about getting a Shig from you.

Well shoot, there goes my Xmas present to myself. I was all excited about getting a Shig from you.

How about a Shige clone in more user-friendly steel? :)
I am heat treating (practicing) 52100 this very moment. I am in the shop.

M

Waiting for the pics to come on :)

Just finished a heat treating test. Fascinating stuff. Particularly after testing hardness on a Rockwell hardness tester. Reminds me of black and white photography back in the day - you never quite know how your negatives come out until you develop it.

M

Mr.Drinky, I will send you a pm.

I'll be interested to see the end products. Especially if you have a stainless/semi-stainless/clad, suji haha.

Marko, I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts on the geometry of the Yoshikane knives. I've heard good things about them, so I wanted to know what you found to be the problem. Send me a PM if you get a chance.

And good luck with making your own knives! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Put me on you list for a Shigifusa clone in 52100. I've been tempted to get a Shigi for the geometry, but I'm not willing to put up with the reactivity. 52100 should be a winner.

I'll be interested to see the end products. Especially if you have a stainless/semi-stainless/clad, suji haha.

I will make variety of types in several steels, so there will be plenty to pick from, including damascus.

M

Hey Marko, this is exciting news and I can be happy about it because I already got a rehandled shige from you! I think you've got the right perfectionist mindset to start making sone great knives - especially if you've figured out the magic shige grind. Sign me up!
Seriously, when you're ready to plan production and start your pre-order list, put my name on it!

Here is a quick update.

Devin Thomas will supply me with several types of steel - damascus, plain, and san mai construction steel (plain and damascus cladding), and as a part of our ongoing relationship, he will help me with an optimal heat treat for his steel as I will be doing heat treating myself in my workshop. I am very excited about this.

I would like to start with carbon, sami-carbon, and stainless setup and adjust as the time goes by.

Each blade will be thoroughly tested for RC hardness, abrasion, edge retention, sharpness etc and I will report what I find without distortion or hype - if I say the knife is 62RC, that means I got the reading from a hardness tester, not a guess. I have the equipment on hand. I will also test against performance knives, as well as send knives to be evaluated in professional environment.

I think I have a pretty good idea what I like to see in my kitchen knife, so now it is time for start experimenting. I will try not to have it interfere with my regular custom work, but I will have to scale it down, once I start making knives for sale.

Thanks everybody for your support and encouragement.

Marko

Awesome. I need to get on your list, Marko. :D (Where is that "drool" smiley when you need it?)

How about a Shige clone in more user-friendly steel? :)
I am heat treating (practicing) 52100 this very moment. I am in the shop.

M

Alright, it looks like I won't have a blue Xmas after all. :happy1:

Now, where's that signup sheet?

Alright, it looks like I won't have a blue Xmas after all. :happy1:

Now, where's that signup sheet?

A while back I promised to make 180mm 64RC gyuto in 52100 for a member here. That will be my first project, to come up with a right heat treat, grind, finish, etc. My feeling is I will have to go back to a drawing board a few times before this project is completed and I will end up making a few knives that will go to friends and family (seconds). Once I am comfortable about quality (grind, finish, performance), I will then offer to the general public. It will probably be between 2-3 months.

M

Good luck M.

Custome knives, and and custom accessories at a one stop shop.

A while back I promised to make 180mm 64RC gyuto in 52100 for a member here...
I was under the impression that the sweet spot for 52100 in terms of carbide size and hardness was in the low 60's. I can't say I know where I got this from...

@ tk59
When properly heat treated, it gets 67RC, and then it is drawn to a preferred hardness (tempering).

@Bao
that would be very convenient, won't it?

M

And it will be awesome when you finnish my Soba Kiri. I just keep wondering what the saya will look like :)

I don't mean to be rude, OD but *** do you want a freakin' soba kiri for?

Back