Thread: Newbie looking for Japanese chef's-style knife. Konosuke? Sakai Yusuke?

Newbie looking for Japanese chef's-style knife. Konosuke? Sakai Yusuke?

Wanting to do better than my Shun knives, looking at the Konosuke HD 240mm Funayuki-Gyuto, but would prefer to stay in the $200 ballpark. Been reading a lot on the Sakai Yusuke 240mm Gyuto and it seems a better value, better fit & finish, and honestly I like its looks... but can't seem to find it for sale. I like the flatter edge these two brands seem to have. Looking at BluewayJapan on ebay, knives to go, etc. 270mm is a little long for my comfort.

Any opinions on where to buy, or other recommendations? I'm a home cook and looking for something to replace my Shun chef's knife for basic slicing, etc. I don't sharpen but am interested in learning.

Glad to have joined the forum and would love to get advice!

Brian

If you email blueway, you may be able to order a yusuke that is not currently listed.

Welcome to the forum!!

Learn sharpening with a basic carbon knife, Old Hickory, Opinel, whatever, before you get any high end laserish stuff. If you don't sharpen, how did you maintain your Shuns?? A laser is no alternative for sharpening, it will dull as any other blade - even a little faster, I guess.
    Welcome, by the way.

Thanks! I'm thinking of taking a nearby knife sharpening course. Been reading a lot. I've been sending out my Shuns for sharpening. It used to free...

Where are you located in Jersey?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Totowa, near Wayne and Paterson. Any tips?

I would suggest stopping by Korin when they are doing a demonstration. Meanwhile Dave Martell has a great 2 disk sharpening dvd you can watch. Also Korin has a sharpening dvd you can watch as well.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I think I will at least be buying the Dave Martell DVDs. Excited to get started on doing this myself but patient enough to learn all I can before attempting it!

Carbonext is a great first J-Knife. Easy to sharpen, non-reactive, Western handle. It is guaranteed to kick off the addiction!