Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wootz Slicer 210mm

Wootz Slicer 210mm

Hello and good day. Heres one I just finished u for a fellow KKF member.

The blade is Wootz steel from Richard Furrer. This was my first time ever using it and it is a horse of a different color.

The knife is approx 210mm on the edge. and is approx 29mm high at the heel, and 2.75mm thick tapering to the tip.

The handle material is walrus tusk. Its considered fossil. The color and texture are natural. The ferrule is 12000++ year old mammoth tusk. The walrus piece had a natural shape similar to a D handle so I left is as natural as possible. allowing the piece to determine the handle shape and size.

The OAL on this knife is 13 1/2"
    Handle is 122mm long ant is 27.5mm tall tapering to 38mm, its 18mm thick, tapering to 23.5mm

Thanks for looking, as always comments and critiques welcomed.
    Blessings
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Wootz always clings kinda sexy to me.
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][I]-"we're gonna make gluten free lasagna"[/I][/FONT]

Everything about that is AWESOME.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    So I had a question what is Wootz steel. Well what a can of worms that was. don't have time to read atm. Btw Great looking handle there. Great knife the buyer will be very happy with it (I'm sure).
    Chewie's the man.

Wootz. Hmm. I really dont know alot about it. or the process of making it.

I took a few more images of the knife in better lighting. Its very organic looking and subtle patterning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wootz 026 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	15932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wootz 028 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	15930  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wootz 018 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	15934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wootz 037 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	15931  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wootz 015 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	15933  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Did you do any forging with it or just stock remove? A made an arrow head out of a small bit at a hammer in and it drove me crazy.

Imagine it was fun to HT too

Well, first of all, I have to thank Randy for taking this project on for me. I have been talking about getting a slicer made out of wootz for about 4 years, so it is nice to finally have one. The blade looks badass IMO. Since wootz is an ancient form of steel making (that was a lost art for a couple hundred years), I thought other ancient handle material would be a good fit. And Randy always has amazing handle material just hanging around.

The blade size is loosely based upon Son's dragon slayer slicer. The profile is a little different, but during his pass around, I was intrigued by how nimble a thin slicer in the 210mm range was.

I'm thinking of getting a snakeskin sheath for it next.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Awesome slicer Drinky!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

That's a real beauty! Drinky, that knife just screams croc or 'gator sheath.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Did you do any forging with it or just stock remove? A made an arrow head out of a small bit at a hammer in and it drove me crazy.

Imagine it was fun to HT too
    I did not do any forging to this piece. Richard rough forged it to shape. The rest was done stock removal.

Heat treat was a breeze. I followed the instructions sent and the results were as expected. The RC number on this stuff is not nearly as high as we have become accustomed to. Yet in talking with the smith. He said I achieved proper RC to this style of knife using this style of material. and he assured me it will cut really well. take a great edge. and even hold it well. considering the lower RC number. The hardness is not what gives this material its cutting property's. Long story short. It should cut very well. but will need to be treated differently then a RC62 ultra high wear resistant super steel.

Given the opportunity. I would gladly use this material again.

Blessings
    Randy

Availible Knives