Microbevel on Single Bevel Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms4awd

Reaction score
Just wanted to get opinion on microbeveling single bevels. I have been doing it on my deba for a few years now and i have some other butchering knives like a unagisaki that came with a very visible microbevel that i plan on maintaining when its time to sharpen. For my deba its reduced any large chipping to almost a non issue even going through rib bones on fish. The question i have is how many put microbevels on their other single bevels as well? Usuba or Yanagi? Is it something commonly done. I have never put a microbevel on yanagi or usuba i have used in the past but am considering putting them on my yanagis. Have had a large chip on a yanagi from a rib bone that was not removed from a yellowtail filet before and even 2 years later i still have not gotten to the point where it is completely sharpened out. I only use the yanagi on fish so it only comes out when there are sashimi or sushi specials on the menu. The filet in question was actually for dinner at home, got it from a japanese market that sells preblocked fish so i was caught off guard when i felt the knife hit something as i was slicing. Would it be advisable to put a small microbevel on a knife like a yanagi?

I JUST got a Usuba from JKI this week and Jon put a uBevel on for me.

The only thing I know about uBevels + Deba that's unusual is that sometimes a back bevel (uBevel on the Ura, the 1-2" near the heel) is used to further strengthen that area of the edge for going through the spine of fish.

As you mentioned it depends on the situation,with no micro where SB meets Urashi edge is thin & extremely sharp,but also fragile.If just cutting sashimi & soft sushi topping can go wt. out micro.Anything remotely hard can chip the blade.I ended up putting a micro on my Deba after a few small chips.

Just because I love SB picked up a Suisin Usuba, after using a while put a micro on that too.

I wouldn't use a micro on my own yanagiba but I do on pro knives.

It's a trade off between ultimate sharpness and edge retention. Sacrifice a little sharpness for a longer lasting more stable edge. In a pro environment, it's very useful and can be utilized on any number of blade shapes.

Back