Giant Halibut - Pick Your Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my 3" shun paring and tojiro bread knife would break that sucker down. :)

I would start with my stihl.

I was thinking the same thing but my 026 might be a little small even with full chisel chain.:lol2:
Time to bust out the beer batter and the Turkey fryer.

Dave

I've cleaned a number of large Halibut-none quite that size though.

It's unfortunate the kitchen staff butchered that one so badly-rolling the fillet off the bone like that is a mistake-each chunk (properly called a fletch) should be sliced into desired sized sections on the bone and removed one @ a time then subdivided-not hard if you think about it carefully first.

As is the meat will have large gaps where it's literally torn apart from it's own weight after being rolled like dough.

As to what knife any large kitchen knife will do as I said it's all about slicing portions.

ask Theory he broke down one there is a video on youtube. think he used his mirioshi deba, global suji, and i think thats it

edit: i was wrong knives used
Tojiro 240mm yo deba
Global g-19 275mm flexible filet knife
Tanaka 300mm Damascus yanagiba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpZVArgxJ2M

Not my best work for sure. It was a 105 lb halibut without the head and guts. Everyone was surrounding my table asking me about it, distracting me and such. "Is that a shark? What kind of shark is that?" The filets came off like **** but I trimmed them up nicely for a couple of huge parties. For some reason, halibut is the one fish I can't capture a perfect filleting job on. I've done it before and was like "YES!!" Only to realise the camera stopped filming. That happened twice. One day...

Here's the biggest one I have broken down.

dea903e1ae576b06822ff7605df62ce8.jpg

a2ea2f88c79ad20dfa807904832fa5cc.jpg

1d9f3bd4b34629d67669220a0fd2b029.jpg

Weapon of choice.... BIG Tuna knife

6fddf5707ee9070b58724f65a7b3039c.jpg

1db5d17b04ff9312ecb55b138963df54.jpg

cf17593a318906b6f322ed1ee669d965.jpg

I could be wrong but looking at the article the heads still on the fish. Heads off on mine, think it might have been bigger thn his? If my memory serves me right I was 330lb head off and gutted.

reminds me of one of those sea monsters from waterworld...

Holy shite Chef Niloc that thing truly is a freakin beast! Was the fleshy grainy at all on a bigun like that?

Dave

Can you remember how many portions that fish yielded?

You roughly get about 1 portion per lb whole fish weight.

The first (top) picture in that link screams unsanitary to me, but hey, welcome to the Crabshakk!
But holy crap these are some huge halibut!

Back