Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DEBA: Who uses it to butcher yard bird's and other terrestrial animals?

DEBA: Who uses it to butcher yard bird's and other terrestrial animals?

I know that this is an inflamatory title but its all in good fun. Many of us know that this traditional Japanese knife profile was designed to butcher fish, but can/should it be used for other cutting tasks. Some use it for opening crabs parts and some (like me) also use it for seperating and deboning poultry.

Lets move beyond the assumption that Deba is not a clever and isn't designed to wack bones like John Henry chops trees.

Please chime in if you use the mighty deba for other cutting tasks?

Occasionally, I'll use it on poultry, but for the most part, I stick to using the deba for it's intended purpose and leave the other stuff to honesuke and hankotsu.

To clarify, the mass of the deba makes quick work of poultry, but technique is key. It's not a cleaver and as long as you use it correctly, a deba can be used for poultry. It's just not the best tool for it. The narrower blade on the honesuke is made for it. The deba is made for fish. It's going to be better at the task for which it's made.

Miles, Not to my hand, the deba makes it so much easier to follow the bones. Its got a nice tip for removing the wish bone too. Maybe it comes down to the fact that i don't like uni-taskers in the kitchen. I know I'm going to ger hammered for that comment, cause i know that most japanese knives are uni-taskers.

Bring it

Due to the risk of being monitored by NSA and even worse by Jon, I'll only admit my deba might have been used on proteins that can't swim. And that was of course pre-honesuki.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

John Henry was a steel drivin man.

i swear i'm not the deba police... its only a problem if you end up causing damage to the blade. Also, its not anywhere near the best knife for use with poultry and other meats.

What Jon said. LOL...
    If it works for you and you're not messing up the blade, carry on!

Each meat group presents it's own set of challanges, and the deba is a knife designed specifically to deal with fish. This means that it must be a sub-optimal knife for dissimilar proteins, even if it's the best knife you have used.
    Typically, the more specific the design of a tool, the more effectively it can be used in it's intended roles. If you are looking to do the absolute best job you can, then you must pick the tool which is most closely matched to the task.

yup... no one's gonna put you in jail for using a deba on chicken, but its not a particularly bright idea considering there are far better options out there