Quantcast
DEBA: Who uses it to butcher yard bird's and other terrestrial animals? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DEBA: Who uses it to butcher yard bird's and other terrestrial animals?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post

In the end I eventually formed kind of a Franken-knife image in my head of my own ideal bird-monster and ended up with a custom order.
    Pray do tell.. with pictures....

rgds
    d

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    Ribs are the perfect job for a cleaver IMO but like most things it's subjective. I just wanna know what time you're serving dinner!

Dave
    Opps.... you missed the call!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    Jim is that two debas for the ribs? Why two?
    Nope the other knife is a 240 Gyuto. The top photo is belly getting ready to be cured into savory bacon..notice the bowl of cure in the photo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Jim, good for you. Finally another that has the hootspa to use deba for land animals. You heretic, join the club. Others will follow
    Either that or I am just too damn stupid to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    Pray do tell.. with pictures....

rgds
    d
    I've posted about it before and it's on the list of "knifes I need to take more pictures of / do a propper review":
    Fowler Custom bird destroyer aka mioroshi poultry deba:
    -Mizuhonyaki (W2 w/ hamon)
    -210mm from handle, 190mm on the edge
    -spin 5mm @ handle; >3mm before drop to tip
    -44mm heel hight
    -ura (back) is hollow ground
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

In the end I eventually formed kind of a Franken-knife image in my head of my own ideal bird-monster and ended up with a custom order.
    I've posted about it before and it's on the list of "knifes I need to take more pictures of / do a propper review":
    Fowler Custom bird destroyer aka mioroshi poultry deba:
    -Mizuhonyaki (W2 w/ hamon)
    -210mm from handle, 190mm on the edge
    -spin 5mm @ handle; >3mm before drop to tip
    -44mm heel hight
    -ura (back) is hollow ground
    That is quite the vision, you had there.

Jay

Thanks..

Interesting piece. Not many US knife makers make single bevel knives with hollow grind and convex grind. Is it because you need an appropriate large wheel for the hollow grind? Whats the largest contact wheel available for 2 x72 belt sanders?

I took the opportunity to own Deba made by Mike Davis. It serves we well.

Based on my enquiries with Sakai Takayuki, I am of the impression that a shorter Miorishi Deba is not common.. being a cross between a Yanagi and Deba.

I like yr style... customising a tool completely to your liking.

rgds
    d

That's a beautiful knife Justin.

If there is a better tool for the job I would love to know about it.
    Mario. For squaring ribs and taking down chickens (and almost every other cutting task) Mario is my first pick. And to share: Justin's Frankenbirder taking a breather before squaring off pancetta.

Can't wait to see a single bevel from Mario.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg‎
Views:	13
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	16186   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg‎
Views:	10
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	16187  

'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    Thanks..

Interesting piece. Not many US knife makers make single bevel knives with hollow grind and convex grind. Is it because you need an appropriate large wheel for the hollow grind? Whats the largest contact wheel available for 2 x72 belt sanders?

I took the opportunity to own Deba made by Mike Davis. It serves we well.

Based on my enquiries with Sakai Takayuki, I am of the impression that a shorter Miorishi Deba is not common.. being a cross between a Yanagi and Deba.

I like yr style... customising a tool completely to your liking.

rgds
    d

I can't remember how exactly he did it, but IIRC it was some contraption that he rigged up where he attached a hemispherical head to a handheld grinder. I can't believe that he got it as even as he did: better than some j-knives I've seen. Really, it was probably unnecessary for this application as many japanese honesuki are actually just flat-ground on the back. Still, dreams, and custom craziness are seldom firmly connected to necessity. It seems people tend to forget about Fowler or write him off, but from just a few years ago when I tried out a very early pass-around of his, he's come a looong way. IMO, he may be one of the best bargains for full-custom work around right now.

Glad you guys like it, it's not a deba, but it's just about as far from tradition (what the j-knive police would approve of ) as one.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I have to admit that I have an interest in this thread as I have recently come into possession of one of these knives (see below) and I was worried that the Deba police might behead me if I used it on non-aquatic protein. I will admit to having had dreams of gutting a steer with one swing of this mighty weapon (also of building a log home and using it to clear the land). Seriously, this thing could qualify as a small tuna sword.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130618_172133_zpsf200b851-1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	16210

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040380_zps3c8f6e84.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	16209
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

Umm.. That knife is really really ridiculously good looking.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

+ Reply to Thread