DEBA: Who uses it to butcher yard bird's and other terrestrial animals?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know that this is an inflamatory title but its all in good fun. Many of us know that this traditional Japanese knife profile was designed to butcher fish, but can/should it be used for other cutting tasks. Some use it for opening crabs parts and some (like me) also use it for seperating and deboning poultry.

Lets move beyond the assumption that Deba is not a clever and isn't designed to wack bones like John Henry chops trees.

Please chime in if you use the mighty deba for other cutting tasks?

To clarify, the mass of the deba makes quick work of poultry, but technique is key. It's not a cleaver and as long as you use it correctly, a deba can be used for poultry. It's just not the best tool for it. The narrower blade on the honesuke is made for it. The deba is made for fish. It's going to be better at the task for which it's made.

Miles, Not to my hand, the deba makes it so much easier to follow the bones. Its got a nice tip for removing the wish bone too. Maybe it comes down to the fact that i don't like uni-taskers in the kitchen. I know I'm going to ger hammered for that comment, cause i know that most japanese knives are uni-taskers.

Bring it :knife:

Due to the risk of being monitored by NSA and even worse by Jon, I'll only admit my deba might have been used on proteins that can't swim. And that was of course pre-honesuki.

i swear i'm not the deba police... its only a problem if you end up causing damage to the blade. Also, its not anywhere near the best knife for use with poultry and other meats.

Each meat group presents it's own set of challanges, and the deba is a knife designed specifically to deal with fish. This means that it must be a sub-optimal knife for dissimilar proteins, even if it's the best knife you have used.
Typically, the more specific the design of a tool, the more effectively it can be used in it's intended roles. If you are looking to do the absolute best job you can, then you must pick the tool which is most closely matched to the task.

yup... no one's gonna put you in jail for using a deba on chicken, but its not a particularly bright idea considering there are far better options out there

yup... no one's gonna put you in jail for using a deba on chicken, but its not a particularly bright idea considering there are far better options out there

Jon, you're not the deba police; you're the deba dad.

I find that the Deba is a great tool to get my pork/ Ribs squared away.

If there is a better tool for the job I would love to know about it.

Ribs are the perfect job for a cleaver IMO but like most things it's subjective. I just wanna know what time you're serving dinner! :D

Dave

It's not impossible, but really there's far better tools. I like light nimble knives for poultry. Petty or honesuki for example. I can open a beer can with a hammer but.....

I find that the Deba is a great tool to get my pork/ Ribs squared away.

Jim is that two debas for the ribs? Why two?

"Why two?"

One for each hand! :nunchucks:
Looks like one Western Deba and a traditional single Bevel. I'd be a lot less worried about hitting bone with a western Deba.

Dave

I used a deba for poultry for a while. I have also used or tried plenty of other knives for the work (paring, utility, honesuki, gyuto, cleaver). The deba wasn't the best or the worst. I liked the extra weight as the spine can be used for cracking bones, and the the extra length for longer slicing cuts (like taking breast off of bone or portioning afterwards) I also liked how easy it was to find and follow a bone with a thick single bevel.
In the end I eventually formed kind of a Franken-knife image in my head of my own ideal bird-monster and ended up with a custom order.

Ribs are the perfect job for a cleaver IMO but like most things it's subjective. I just wanna know what time you're serving dinner! :D

Dave

Opps.... you missed the call!

Jim is that two debas for the ribs? Why two?

Nope the other knife is a 240 Gyuto. The top photo is belly getting ready to be cured into savory bacon..notice the bowl of cure in the photo?
Jim, good for you. Finally another that has the hootspa to use deba for land animals. You heretic, join the club. Others will follow :ggodjob:

Either that or I am just too damn stupid to know the difference.

Pray do tell.. with pictures....

rgds
d

I've posted about it before and it's on the list of "knifes I need to take more pictures of / do a propper review":
Fowler Custom bird destroyer aka mioroshi poultry deba:
-Mizuhonyaki (W2 w/ hamon)
-210mm from handle, 190mm on the edge
-spin 5mm @ handle; >3mm before drop to tip
-44mm heel hight
-ura (back) is hollow ground
IMG_0124.JPG

In the end I eventually formed kind of a Franken-knife image in my head of my own ideal bird-monster and ended up with a custom order.

I've posted about it before and it's on the list of "knifes I need to take more pictures of / do a propper review":
Fowler Custom bird destroyer aka mioroshi poultry deba:
-Mizuhonyaki (W2 w/ hamon)
-210mm from handle, 190mm on the edge
-spin 5mm @ handle; >3mm before drop to tip
-44mm heel hight
-ura (back) is hollow ground
IMG_0124.JPG

That is quite the vision, you had there.

Jay

Thanks..

Interesting piece. Not many US knife makers make single bevel knives with hollow grind and convex grind. Is it because you need an appropriate large wheel for the hollow grind? Whats the largest contact wheel available for 2 x72 belt sanders?

I took the opportunity to own Deba made by Mike Davis. It serves we well.

Based on my enquiries with Sakai Takayuki, I am of the impression that a shorter Miorishi Deba is not common.. being a cross between a Yanagi and Deba.

I like yr style... customising a tool completely to your liking.

rgds
d

Mario. For squaring ribs and taking down chickens (and almost every other cutting task) Mario is my first pick. And to share: Justin's Frankenbirder taking a breather before squaring off pancetta.

Can't wait to see a single bevel from Mario.

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

Thanks..

Interesting piece. Not many US knife makers make single bevel knives with hollow grind and convex grind. Is it because you need an appropriate large wheel for the hollow grind? Whats the largest contact wheel available for 2 x72 belt sanders?

I took the opportunity to own Deba made by Mike Davis. It serves we well.

Based on my enquiries with Sakai Takayuki, I am of the impression that a shorter Miorishi Deba is not common.. being a cross between a Yanagi and Deba.

I like yr style... customising a tool completely to your liking.

rgds
d

I can't remember how exactly he did it, but IIRC it was some contraption that he rigged up where he attached a hemispherical head to a handheld grinder. I can't believe that he got it as even as he did: better than some j-knives I've seen. Really, it was probably unnecessary for this application as many japanese honesuki are actually just flat-ground on the back. Still, dreams, and custom craziness are seldom firmly connected to necessity. It seems people tend to forget about Fowler or write him off, but from just a few years ago when I tried out a very early pass-around of his, he's come a looong way. IMO, he may be one of the best bargains for full-custom work around right now.

Glad you guys like it, it's not a deba, but it's just about as far from tradition (what the j-knive police would approve of ) as one.

I have to admit that I have an interest in this thread as I have recently come into possession of one of these knives (see below) and I was worried that the Deba police might behead me if I used it on non-aquatic protein. I will admit to having had dreams of gutting a steer with one swing of this mighty weapon (also of building a log home and using it to clear the land). :knife: Seriously, this thing could qualify as a small tuna sword. :biggrin:

20130618_172133_zpsf200b851-1.jpg

P1040380_zps3c8f6e84.jpg

Back