Thread: Alternatives to Sugimoto No.22

Alternatives to Sugimoto No.22

Are there other high quality alternatives to the thicker Sugimoto 22 or Sugimoto 3? I'm looking for a thicker high quality cleaver, and it seems like the default choice with a lack of competitors.

Can't really think of much off the top of my head. Sakai Takayuki make one that's about 700g and made of white 2 but it's only 210x75mm. Another option would be getting one custom made from Moritaka.

Out of interest, what are you cutting with it? I'd like to pick up a #22 but for it's intended purpose I'd rather abuse a $20 cleaver than a $300+ one.

Cheers,
    Josh

There is the CCK Kau Kong Chopper, or the CCK BBQ cleaver. Not sure if they are high end tho, definitely not in the same class as the sugimoto cleaver. On the Japanese side of things the only cleaver I can think of is the Yoshikane http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...ood-p/1282.htm

Just bought a CCK No. 2 BBQ cleaver more out of curiosity than anything. Wow, this thing is huge! About 1/4-inch thick at the base. You could certainly chop a whole hog in to BBQ with no problem with it but it may be a bit of over kill for the bone in Chinese style chicken chopping I do.

Thinkin' of picking up a CCK chopper sometime. Thought about getting the Yoshikane chopper but figured for the low amount of use it'd see and the fact that I still don't feel comfortable with the idea of chopping through bone with a really nice knife means the CCK is a definite choice to consider. It's a good step above the $20 no-names, and yet won't hurt my heart too much to really chop through bones with it
    Len

Okay. You guys convinced me to go with a cheaper Chinese chopper.