Quantcast
Perfect line slicer - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Perfect line slicer

I rate my ginga 210 petty very highly. But it is a waif. Still deceptively tough though. I have the stainless because of the amount of acidic work i did when I bought that knife.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Also if you're on a budget, you could grab the Sakai Yusuke 240mm wa suji for only $203 on blue way. The cutting edge is probably more like 233mm...
    I doubt you'll find a better deal for a $200ish suji.
    This. Also comes in 210mm, $170.

Anyone able to say what 210mm suji/pettys are the 'best' regardless of price? Just so we all know what to keep an eye out for on BST..

Brad,
    Ashi Hamono has a nice 210 petty. Both Wa or Yo, White #2 or Stainless. I got his Wa white #2 a few weeks ago. Great little knife. gets wicked sharp. JKI has a similar knife, similar options. I believe it's the same maker.

...called gesshin ginga. At JKI's that is

Ginga rocks. I bought the 180 stainless for my wife. It is thin and light but takes a nice edge, holds it(in home environment) and is nicely finished.

Brad think 210 Gyuto make good line knives where space is limited.Gyuto is more versitle than Sugi & at the 210mm can work as a slicer too.If price is a factor +1 on the Carbonext for the price it is a good blade.

I have a 210 gyuto but I really like the slicer more, I cut fish non stop and have been using a terrible cheap Yanagiba. That Ginga was something I have been looking at. An white #2 is a definite plus for me. If anyone has anything like this they don't use please pm me. My budget is super limited so buying the Ginga or a kono petty would almost be pushing it for me.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

I've not read much about them, but what about the Zakuri 210mm blue #1 at JKI?. $140, and I should imagine more robust than the Sakai layzors.

i was about to suggest the zakuri as well, but then i read it was for line use and actually i hesitate to suggest non stainless for that purpose. ive tried several zakuris and liked em all pretty much. they are very popular in germany for beeing great value as introduction knifes, especially the "yanagibas", as they call their sujihikis, work pretty well. i prefer the standard blue over the aogami version tho for its ease of sharpening, and it holds its edge really good.

nevertheless i'd go for a ashi hamono ginga 210 stainless petty. for around 15000 yen thats a very good deal i guess.