Perfect line slicer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Gibson

Banned
Reaction score
So I've been reading about how well people think 210 petty knives are for line work. All I've been doing is cooking fish at work and I've been using this piece of crap dexter Yanagiba that is around 23cm. Of course the dexter is sharp and it does its job but I am pretty tired of using a 25 dollar knife for slicing 50 dollar tuna entrees. Lol! If anyone has a suggestion for a reasonably inexpensive slicer in the 210-250 range please let me know. I just got a really nice 270mm kanemasa suji with a custom handle by Kaleab. But I can't work the line with the knife as its too long. My station is a lowboy with an approximately 12 inch cutting board on top. There is not much wiggle room.

I am really happy with the quality of my sujihiki but I want something shorter and prefferably wa handled.

Thanks for any and all input

Brad

It's not wa handled but the fujiwara sujihikis are quite good for the money.

What's "reasonably inexpensive" to you? AFAIK there aren't many wa options under $150-200.

I can't think of even one wa offering under $150 or so off the top of my head...

JCK Inazuma or similar ubiquitous "hammered damascus" offering?
I don't recall the Inazuma coming in a 210 suji but if that is the case, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it. I sharpened an Inazuma this morning, as a matter of fact.

I thought 210-250 was his price range? And he was looking for a 210mm?

Also if you're on a budget, you could grab the Sakai Yusuke 240mm wa suji for only $203 on blue way. The cutting edge is probably more like 233mm...
I doubt you'll find a better deal for a $200ish suji.

I rate my ginga 210 petty very highly. But it is a waif. Still deceptively tough though. I have the stainless because of the amount of acidic work i did when I bought that knife.

Also if you're on a budget, you could grab the Sakai Yusuke 240mm wa suji for only $203 on blue way. The cutting edge is probably more like 233mm...
I doubt you'll find a better deal for a $200ish suji.

This. Also comes in 210mm, $170.

Anyone able to say what 210mm suji/pettys are the 'best' regardless of price? Just so we all know what to keep an eye out for on BST..

Brad,
Ashi Hamono has a nice 210 petty. Both Wa or Yo, White #2 or Stainless. I got his Wa white #2 a few weeks ago. Great little knife. gets wicked sharp. JKI has a similar knife, similar options. I believe it's the same maker.

Ginga rocks. I bought the 180 stainless for my wife. It is thin and light but takes a nice edge, holds it(in home environment) and is nicely finished.

Brad think 210 Gyuto make good line knives where space is limited.Gyuto is more versitle than Sugi & at the 210mm can work as a slicer too.If price is a factor +1 on the Carbonext for the price it is a good blade.

I have a 210 gyuto but I really like the slicer more, I cut fish non stop and have been using a terrible cheap Yanagiba. That Ginga was something I have been looking at. An white #2 is a definite plus for me. If anyone has anything like this they don't use please pm me. My budget is super limited so buying the Ginga or a kono petty would almost be pushing it for me.

I've not read much about them, but what about the Zakuri 210mm blue #1 at JKI?. $140, and I should imagine more robust than the Sakai layzors.

i was about to suggest the zakuri as well, but then i read it was for line use and actually i hesitate to suggest non stainless for that purpose. ive tried several zakuris and liked em all pretty much. they are very popular in germany for beeing great value as introduction knifes, especially the "yanagibas", as they call their sujihikis, work pretty well. i prefer the standard blue over the aogami version tho for its ease of sharpening, and it holds its edge really good.

nevertheless i'd go for a ashi hamono ginga 210 stainless petty. for around 15000 yen thats a very good deal i guess.

Perhaps post a request in the b/s/t these sort of knives pop up there every now and again, and someone's probably got one hanging around that they could part with.

What is your price point ideally? If you are really short on cash you could get a 210 mm Tojiro Zen for like $40 which is the same as the Tojiro DP line just the wa handle isn't to great.

40 dollars? Please link this thing. I was thinking between 150 and 250

I just saw the tojiro zen lol! 40 dollars for a 210 petty! Insane, has anyone bought one of these things yet? I wonder how bad the handle is on it.

On youtube there is a video of a tojiro zen santoku the handle looks okay espically for the price

It doesn't even say who made that knife! It looks pretty sweet though

It's an OEM blade offered by lots of companies, e.g. Yoshihiro, Kanetsune, Takayuki to name but a few. They have a pretty good reputation.

afaik, the wa versions are in aeb-l. the yo handles are vg10.

Latest posts

Back