Quantcast
Be careful of ordering unique items from Epicurean Edge, buggy web site - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Be careful of ordering unique items from Epicurean Edge, buggy web site

if the website and the shop front shared the same database

If the web site and the store don't share the same database, he's really asking for trouble and if they do share the same database, then real time updates to inventory and thus a check as to whether an order can be completed are really not that hard to code - it depends on locking the inventory database temporarily after a sale to make updates - it should be really really fast and thus customers will never even notice. Then, one puts some code to check that the items in the shopping cart are still available, if not the purchaser is notified"sorry it's just not your day"

But in this case we aren't talking about microseconds, he claimed it was sold 2 hours before he "completed" my sale and no POS system should allow this to happen. IT's really bad programming (and karma).

Well, I'm still in the queue for a custom Burke but I suspect I am a year away from my turn and god was that knife a beaut...

I have had a similar thing happen with my web store.
    While the website removes anything that sells online from the store inventory. I have to manually remove items that were sold in person.
    Sometimes things just get busy and it takes a little while to get to removing the item from the online inventory.
    Those are usually the times where someone else attempts to purchase the same item online.
    Now I try to remove items sold in person from the web site before anything else.
    Still.....once in a while stuff happens.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

yeah... i feel like sometimes people expect small businesses like us to have websites that run as smoothly as amazon... for reference, i wrote our website entirely on my own. I recently thought about getting the website re-done and the quotes i got for this (from a number of companies) were all in the $15k-30k range. Most small businesses are not going to spend money like that on their website. So we make the best out of what we have and hope that people can be understanding of where we stand.

Why wouldn't you ask the owners or pm them first before posting this here? They have their own sub forum at the very least you could have posted there.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

That's my point exactly: stuff happens especially if the store and web site databases aren't linked. So people buying from EE should check by phone before getting their hopes up about getting a unique item - that's exactly what I was saying, no more but also no less.

Lots of sites have problems like that. I guess that is why you were in business -- you were one of the ones who knew how to develop sites that did not have such issues.

Funny thing is you could have spent a week psyching yourself up to pull the trigger, then visited the site one day to buy it and seen a message it was already sold. And after psyching yourself up for a week, the disappointment would have been even worse.

EE gets Burke knives throughout the year, so chances are you'll have a shot at another.

Seems like a reasonable reminder of reality.

On the other hand... Sometimes I feel lucky to have the new menu up on the site within a week of the change.

There is another one up
    right now

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91521

Burkes go very fast

It happened to me also 2 times But i really feel for OP

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    yeah... i feel like sometimes people expect small businesses like us to have websites that run as smoothly as amazon... for reference, i wrote our website entirely on my own. I recently thought about getting the website re-done and the quotes i got for this (from a number of companies) were all in the $15k-30k range. Most small businesses are not going to spend money like that on their website. So we make the best out of what we have and hope that people can be understanding of where we stand.