Quantcast
Be careful of ordering unique items from Epicurean Edge, buggy web site - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Be careful of ordering unique items from Epicurean Edge, buggy web site

Oh well, the usual thing to say in these circumstances is "Don't despair, it means it wasn't the good one for you, you'll have a better one when your time comes!" .
    Does that help? ahem... No?

From a legal perspective,it has to honoured isn't it.The same law applies to a vendors equally ... big or small.

The fact that was sold earlier. the software was buggy does not mean that it is perfectly all right to treat the transaction. If a hard ball customer wants it to be honoured and willing to take legal means... he wld most probably win. If it is worth it... he wld persue it.

there shld be a profusion of apologies and a token compensation to make matters right as after all.. most people are reasonable.

thus the bug has to fixed. It's a virtual store. it still has cost to set it up. Most probably cheaper than a brick and mortar store .

I suspect that the inventory database is not live as the online transaction inventory has to deducted when the deal is done and not later. Some accounting system(s) update the stock inventory via batch processing.

Once in a while a not so understanding customer will come along adn will demand his rights... and that can be costly too!

just my views..
    d

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    From a legal perspective,it has to honoured isn't it.The same law applies to a vendors equally ... big or small.

The fact that was sold earlier. the software was buggy does not mean that it is perfectly all right to treat the transaction. If a hard ball customer wants it to be honoured and willing to take legal means... he wld most probably win. If it is worth it... he wld persue it.

there shld be a profusion of apologies and a token compensation to make matters right as after all.. most people are reasonable.

thus the bug has to fixed. It's a virtual store. it still has cost to set it up. Most probably cheaper than a brick and mortar store .

I suspect that the inventory database is not live as the online transaction inventory has to deducted when the deal is done and not later. Some accounting system(s) update the stock inventory via batch processing.

Once in a while a not so understanding customer will come along adn will demand his rights... and that can be costly too!

just my views..
    d
    Good luck with that lawsuit.

Sheesh.

You could just go with the Damascus san mai muskox horn chefs knife that went on epic edge today...

I think that the OP came across as pretty obnoxious. If his intention was only to let fellow potential buyers of rare, expensive, and very in-demand knives (who hadn't already figured it out years ago themselves) know "Hey when buying something like this online, make sure that you get a hold of a real person ASAP to confirm the purchase, b/c here's what happened to me..." then he would have said that.

If his intent was to help the vendor improve their POS(point of sale, "not piece of $#!7" system) he could have sent an email, PM, or call and explained the technical problem and, if he wanted to be nice, offer to share his expertise as to how it could be fixed.

Instead, he tried to publicly shame or punish them by posting here and then and to make himself sound smart by spouting off as to what a POS (take your own meaning) expert he is.
    I think he succeeded only in making himself look like an ass on a world stage.
    Well played sir.

Sorry for the rant...I just think everyone was being far too nice to someone that's clearly using our forum for all the wrong reasons.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Just my impression but the OP was frustrated by the experience and the opening post reflected that. We've all been frustrated before and said things in a less-than-nice manner. I think it's valid to bring up this point of mismatches between inventory shown online and actual inventory... just at it is valid for vendors to note the challenges they face with creating a sync'd experience both online and in-store.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post

just my views..
    d
    I'm not a lawyer, but I'm certain the big companies do. This situation happens ALL the time with big online retailers as well. There must be some clauses in there somewhere that won't let you sue or whatever.

For Justin0505, I think my emails have been quite calm and I think my OP and subsequent posts are part of what these forums are for, There are numerous posts describing good and bad experiences with vendors in the forums here, no?

But, of course you are entitled to your opinion; we are both site supporters after all and thus must value the site......

Two final comments on this thread and then no more from me.

First, this is actually the first time I can remember of being told after an email was sent thanking me for my order and telling me its on m the way to be sent another email saying "gee you didn't buy it after all". (And yes I was annoyed and frustrated: If I had been told before the sales completed that "oops too late", I would have been annoyed with myself, not with them.)

Secondly, we don't know it was caused by a store purchase, that was a conjecture on the part of a subsequent poster that everyone assumed must have caused the problem. I wasn't told that, perhaps if I was told that I would have been more understanding. But, it almost certainly isn't what happened.

I just checked the times on the emails from them and it would have been very unlikely, although I suppose possible that it was a store purchase since: (a)I "bought" it at 12:09PM on a Sunday. There web site says they open at 12:00 on Sunday and he said in an email at 1:00PM it sold 2 hours before I ordered it.

Looking further into it, the problem seems to have been the knife was in my shopping cart overnight while I waited for a response from the vendor about the knife as soon as I got it, I placed the order. Their online inventory system apparently doesn't check status between first placement in cart and checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Just my impression but the OP was frustrated by the experience and the opening post reflected that. We've all been frustrated before and said things in a less-than-nice manner. I think it's valid to bring up this point of mismatches between inventory shown online and actual inventory... just at it is valid for vendors to note the challenges they face with creating a sync'd experience both online and in-store.
    I don't encourage or make excused for temper tantrums for 2yr olds... sure not gonna start making exceptions for adults.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded