Quantcast
Be careful of ordering unique items from Epicurean Edge, buggy web site
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be careful of ordering unique items from Epicurean Edge, buggy web site

Be careful of ordering unique items from Epicurean Edge, buggy web site

While I am sure they are nice people and certainly have nice knives for sale, the code behind their web site ordering system is buggy and this bug shows up if one is ordering unique items.

The story is that I placed an order for a custom knife that was one of a kind, their web site accepted my order, took my credit card payment, issued an order number etc. Only, soon thereafter, I got an email from the owner saying the knife I wanted had sold 2 hours before I placed my order. No well designed web site would *ever* allow this to happen -and I used to teach (and still write about) this stuff, so I speak from experience...

Personally, I do not relish getting excited about a very very special purchase only to have my hopes dashed by a buggy web site.

So, my suggestion is that you verify that a unique item really is for sale before you get to excited about your potential purchase from them. This is especially true if it is a special present to yourself or to a loved one. It's a real downer to psych yourself up for a major purchase of something so beautiful and so expensive, then make it, only then be told "oops you didn't actually buy it" because our web site has a bug.

Oh Please!!!

I don't know you nor have I ordered from Epicurean Edge.

Anyone who has worked in sales knows, despite the best efforts, there are going to be screw ups, and usually its pretty spectacular. Sometimes everything does go wrong. **** happens. Most businesses would love a second chance if the customer would give it to them.

Jay

for pete's sake.

If it was the Burke then I really feel for you, it would be horrible thinking you had a once in a lifetime knife only to be left disappointed. Unfortunately though these things happen and I'm pretty sure this was a very rare circumstance.

Maybe it sold to someone who walked into the store, in person? Anyway, I appreciate the comment the OP made. If you're sensitive to that sort of thing happening, the moral of the story is to call in.

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post

Personally, I do not relish getting excited about a very very special purchase only to have my hopes dashed by a buggy web site.

So, my suggestion is that you verify that a unique item really is for sale before you get to excited about your potential purchase from them. This is especially true if it is a special present to yourself or to a loved one. It's a real downer to psych yourself up for a major purchase of something so beautiful and so expensive, then make it, only then be told "oops you didn't actually buy it" because our web site has a bug.
    #firstworldproblems

Ehh, crap happens. Upward and onward.

Ran a pretty successful business for a bunch if years before I retired, I'm quite aware that !#$& haPpens.but I also no how programing works and this is clearly a bug or a poor design to begin with and I think people should know about it and verify a very desired item is in stock until they fix the bug.

I did in no way disparage them personally.

And yes it was the Burke.

I think gic is just giving us a little "warning". As said earlier, it's good to call ahead for a big purchase like that one, when there's a brick and mortar and an online shop. Lesson learned, and I'm sure Daniel will make sure all is right.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

for what its worth, this happens to me sometimes too with my website... we do our best to deal with it in a quick and reasonable way, as i'm sure the guys at EE do as well... sorry to hear you had problems, but sometimes these things happen.

+ Reply to Thread