Quantcast
Be careful of ordering unique items from Epicurean Edge, buggy web site - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Be careful of ordering unique items from Epicurean Edge, buggy web site

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, but I'm certain the big companies do. This situation happens ALL the time with big online retailers as well. There must be some clauses in there somewhere that won't let you sue or whatever.
    I'm not a lawyer either but a lawsuit about something like this would be proof positive of how insane the american legal system is! (And how crazy the person was filing the suit was IMHO). IT's a customer service issue for crying out loud and that's the reason I started the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    I don't encourage or make excused for temper tantrums for 2yr olds... sure not gonna start making exceptions for adults.
    That's the thing: I don't read it as a temper tantrum. Frustrated, yes, but not a tantrum.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    Looking further into it, the problem seems to have been the knife was in my shopping cart overnight while I waited for a response from the vendor about the knife as soon as I got it, I placed the order. Their online inventory system apparently doesn't check status between first placement in cart and checkout.
    Yeah, sounds like there could either be some business rule issues or they were not implemented properly on the site. Give EE a call or send them a note about it so that they can suss it out and maybe fix whatever the issue is so that it doesn't happen again.

Something good can still come of this
    Len

I have had this happen several times to me with vendors on Rakuten and it definitely sucks and it is disappointing, but in this age, it also happens. I agree with Jon, there is a cost associated with such systems and you have to think about how much product you need to sell to make it worth it. I would have a hard time justifying 15-30k.

Maybe EE could commission BB to make a replica for you if you ask them nicely?

mm

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Why wouldn't you ask the owners or pm them first before posting this here? They have their own sub forum at the very least you could have posted there.
    This.
    Jason

Unfortunately, as I mentioned to this customer by e-mail, strange things happen on websites ... especially websites that get lots of traffic. Our website is database driven and is automatically updated both on sales online and in store. Once in a great while (1-2 times per year) an item isn't marked correctly sold in the database. In this particular case, a customer ordered the item through our website approximately 2 hours before gic placed his order. Gic had apparently previously added the item to his cart and saved the cart. Even though the item was already marked sold on the site, because Gic placed his order through his saved cart, he was a able to complete his order. The site send the standard automated e-mail to thank him for his order. About 40 minutes after that, when processing his order, we noted that he had purchased an item that was no longer available and immediately e-mailed him.

While it is annoying to not get a knife that you want, I hope Gic will understand this wasn't a personal offense and try again.

As noted by another poster, the Burke's sell pretty quick. Since the item was marked sold on the site at the time of the purchase, I would encourage customers to check the site for availability (or call) when ordering unique items from a saved cart.

Sorry for the trouble!

-daniel

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    For Justin0505, I think my emails have been quite calm and I think my OP and subsequent posts are part of what these forums are for, There are numerous posts describing good and bad experiences with vendors in the forums here, no?

But, of course you are entitled to your opinion; we are both site supporters after all and thus must value the site......

Two final comments on this thread and then no more from me.

First, this is actually the first time I can remember of being told after an email was sent thanking me for my order and telling me its on m the way to be sent another email saying "gee you didn't buy it after all". (And yes I was annoyed and frustrated: If I had been told before the sales completed that "oops too late", I would have been annoyed with myself, not with them.)

Secondly, we don't know it was caused by a store purchase, that was a conjecture on the part of a subsequent poster that everyone assumed must have caused the problem. I wasn't told that, perhaps if I was told that I would have been more understanding. But, it almost certainly isn't what happened.

I just checked the times on the emails from them and it would have been very unlikely, although I suppose possible that it was a store purchase since: (a)I "bought" it at 12:09PM on a Sunday. There web site says they open at 12:00 on Sunday and he said in an email at 1:00PM it sold 2 hours before I ordered it.

Looking further into it, the problem seems to have been the knife was in my shopping cart overnight while I waited for a response from the vendor about the knife as soon as I got it, I placed the order. Their online inventory system apparently doesn't check status between first placement in cart and checkout.

We'd be happy to have Bill make a similar piece (Gic wouldn't even have to ask all that nicely!) ... though Bill's wait list is quite long, we can often get something faster since we have so many outstanding orders.

It was an amazing knife!

Any interest Gic?

-daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    I have had this happen several times to me with vendors on Rakuten and it definitely sucks and it is disappointing, but in this age, it also happens. I agree with Jon, there is a cost associated with such systems and you have to think about how much product you need to sell to make it worth it. I would have a hard time justifying 15-30k.

For what it's worth, I've had this happen on the Barnes and Noble website as well as Amazon ... In their cases, their inventory was off. They sent an apologetic e-mail.

-daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post

So in the end Daniel and I are exactly in agreement since, as my OP said exactly what he said here: "I would encourage customers to check the site for availability (or call) when ordering unique items"

I'll be taking his kind offer up in a PM to Daniel.