Quantcast
Doy you take your knives with you when you go on vacation?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doy you take your knives with you when you go on vacation?

Doy you take your knives with you when you go on vacation?

Will be away for 3 weeks in August, planning taking a 225mm gyuto with me.

Maybe will take one of my boards too, LOL. Got used to a certain comfort, hard to be without it, even for 3 weeks. I am on Paleo diet about 90% of the time, so will be preparing meals and a knife and a board is essential. And I hate using bad knives, rental apartments stocked with. Boards that you find there are also tiny. This would be a small board, probably 11x16 or so.

Do you guys take your knives with you? What other tools do you take? I was thinking to take a peeler and 8" DMT plate with felt strop but I am open for suggestions. Do you take them in your knife bag, or just in a saya/box?

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I often travel with a sharpening kit depending on my destination . Friends and family get their knives done. My best friend owns an amazing B and B on the border of Mass and Vermont. I overhaul his knives and we cook fish and game for days.

When I traveled for work I would be gone for anywhere from 2 weeks to a month and I would bring my bag with stones. Now when I travel on vacation I just bring one gyuto or cleaver. I just put the gyuto in a saya and toss it in my luggage, taking a pic before its closed.

Flying - I will usually take a chef knife, a slicer, and a utility knife. Stainless steel, because often times its the beach. In there boxes. The old Hattori forum boxes were nice.

Driving - The knife bag.

A vacation rental house or room with a kitchen, I bring a cutting board.

Even when cooking for a large party, I don't bring my stones.

Jay

went to a beach house for a week in May with my wife's family. I bought many pots and pans, a cutting board, many knives, a burr grinder and an espresso machine. really glad i had all of it.

I just got back from vacation and I had three knives with me: a Fowler, Rodrigue, and Devin Thomas. I also travel with a microplane grater and tongs.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Usually I will only bring a gyuto or my nakiri but other then that I don't bother with bringing too many knives just one or two will be able to work just fine.

We rented a condo at the beach last fall, and I took a gyuto, petty and paring, as well as a cutting board, some big spoons, tongs, peeler, etc., etc. Wound up being overkill, so this year will only bring the knives, tongs and cutting board. For a week-long stay where we're really only cooking once every other day (leftovers on the other days) sharpening equipment is overkill for me.

If I know I'm going to be somewhere where there are decent knives, I will bring a ~500 grit and if the knives are nice then also a 5k. I'll also bring a 150 or 210 petty to use in a pinch. Otherwise, I'll bring a gyuto, a back-up gyuto and a 150-210 petty. All stainless or semi. Oh, I bring a cutting board, spatula, tongs, 12" fry pan, stock pot and a sauce pan depending on what's there, the length of time and the number of people.

oh, i had tongs and spatulas and whisks and all that kinda stuff with me, too. just standard kit.