Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doy you take your knives with you when you go on vacation?

Doy you take your knives with you when you go on vacation?

Will be away for 3 weeks in August, planning taking a 225mm gyuto with me.

Maybe will take one of my boards too, LOL. Got used to a certain comfort, hard to be without it, even for 3 weeks. I am on Paleo diet about 90% of the time, so will be preparing meals and a knife and a board is essential. And I hate using bad knives, rental apartments stocked with. Boards that you find there are also tiny. This would be a small board, probably 11x16 or so.

Do you guys take your knives with you? What other tools do you take? I was thinking to take a peeler and 8" DMT plate with felt strop but I am open for suggestions. Do you take them in your knife bag, or just in a saya/box?

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I often travel with a sharpening kit depending on my destination . Friends and family get their knives done. My best friend owns an amazing B and B on the border of Mass and Vermont. I overhaul his knives and we cook fish and game for days.

When I traveled for work I would be gone for anywhere from 2 weeks to a month and I would bring my bag with stones. Now when I travel on vacation I just bring one gyuto or cleaver. I just put the gyuto in a saya and toss it in my luggage, taking a pic before its closed.

Flying - I will usually take a chef knife, a slicer, and a utility knife. Stainless steel, because often times its the beach. In there boxes. The old Hattori forum boxes were nice.

Driving - The knife bag.

A vacation rental house or room with a kitchen, I bring a cutting board.

Even when cooking for a large party, I don't bring my stones.

Jay

went to a beach house for a week in May with my wife's family. I bought many pots and pans, a cutting board, many knives, a burr grinder and an espresso machine. really glad i had all of it.

I just got back from vacation and I had three knives with me: a Fowler, Rodrigue, and Devin Thomas. I also travel with a microplane grater and tongs.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Usually I will only bring a gyuto or my nakiri but other then that I don't bother with bringing too many knives just one or two will be able to work just fine.

We rented a condo at the beach last fall, and I took a gyuto, petty and paring, as well as a cutting board, some big spoons, tongs, peeler, etc., etc. Wound up being overkill, so this year will only bring the knives, tongs and cutting board. For a week-long stay where we're really only cooking once every other day (leftovers on the other days) sharpening equipment is overkill for me.

If I know I'm going to be somewhere where there are decent knives, I will bring a ~500 grit and if the knives are nice then also a 5k. I'll also bring a 150 or 210 petty to use in a pinch. Otherwise, I'll bring a gyuto, a back-up gyuto and a 150-210 petty. All stainless or semi. Oh, I bring a cutting board, spatula, tongs, 12" fry pan, stock pot and a sauce pan depending on what's there, the length of time and the number of people.

oh, i had tongs and spatulas and whisks and all that kinda stuff with me, too. just standard kit.