dexter russel 25 dollar yanagiba LOL

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Gibson

Banned
Reaction score
So I was talking to one of my reps at work about getting a few house knives and I came across these dexter russel yanagis for 25 bucks and ordered two of them for fun. When they finally arrived about a month later, after I had given up hope, I got one out and started using it. It had a surprisingly good edge and after 1000/6000 combi stone the thing was screaming. I decided to take one home and give it a little spa treatment and see how good I could get the edge.

I got the thing mirrored out and super sharp. I removed a painted on handle coating and sanded down the handle to match the ferrule size and soaked it in linseed oil. I also took an electric sander with a 100 grit sand paper to the entire knife to remove the hideous "Dexter Japan" crap stamp from it. I rounded out the choil for a more comfortable fit and I am starting to actually really like it. I am quite ashamed to say that this is the first single bevel knife I've ever owned. None the less, I had a fun time playing with it and tweaking it into what it is now. I am not 100% sure on what kind of steel it is. All I could find was a site saying it is stain resistant carbon steel. I took it to a 2000/5000 and stropped on two high balsa woods and here are the results....

Before:
image_zps9ed313f6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After:
image_zps40a7dbf6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsc3b1a376.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and yeah, thats the cardboard saya I made out of a demi loaf box... I love it!

Having this knife REALLY makes me want to try out some more single bevels. It is so much fun to play with and cut fish with it. I could only imagine how nice it would be if I had a quality knife to use.

Brad:wink:

Don't underestimate the fact that you like this knife. The fact you get a more expensive one won't mean that you use it as much. I still use my forschner more than anything else in my roll, just because I like it.. and I don't have to worry about it, like, at all.

you're right about not having to worry about it. I could care less if someone grabbed it and cut a plastic bag or a box with it. its so cheap! I think its pretty cool but the handle is just terrible.

if anyone has any good tips on how to make the handle better id like to hear them

You could have posted this for sale as an "unknown" yanagi and probably got $50 for it! :lol2:

I feel like the 2 hours of work I put into it are worth more than 50 dollars lol

And they have a Deba for $22 - might be worth tryin' one and those look perfect for a fishing trip.

Is it a true single bevel with a ura ground into the back side? Most of the cheaper yanagibas that I've seen had a very small micro bevel on the backside and no ura.

Yeah this thing has no ura, I don't think it's even hollow backed. But it's fun for 25 bucks!

One of my co workers has what is probably the same knife. It isn't marked as dexter but it looks identical and it really is t bad for what it is. Makes a hell of a beater for line slicing duty.

Yeah no doubt. I honestly like it for little cuts during service. I usually use my tojiro kiritsuke gyuto but this knife is lighter and easier to throw around. I have been enjoying it. I'm waiting for my new takeda to get to me from Canada. 210 yanagi/suji takeda. I can't wait!

Back