• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB flat profile gyuto in w1, w2 or 52100

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
as i said im interested in trying a gyuto in w2, w1 or 52100 not sure how much im willing but offer away and hopefully i find what im looking for

Believe it or not, the ZKramer is nice and flat for a large part of the blade. It's 52100, and really nice to use.

masamoto ks or any customs with flat profiles i dont really want a laser i liked that fowler that was in W2 on bst.

not a huge fan of really tall blades either

Looks like that particular Carter is gone . . . :whistling:

what kind of budget? I'm asking because you said custom.

Stephan Fowler has some gyutos available on his site...

+1
That's the first name I thought of when I read the topic. He does a very nice job with his HT of W2. His custom work is very reasonable and super fast too.

between 300 and 800 max i just want something particular but im not really quite sure what

I'll take a pic of my fowler bc I think it's what your looking for in w2. I wouldn't sell it but it shows his work.

image.jpg

looks gorgeous how much was that knife? and i love it accept for the handle.

I didn't know about the handle but it doesn't photo well. I use it in a pro kitchen and it really is comfortable. I love it and in person you could see the hamon and the handle is prob the best looking part. I would say directly from fowler (I don't want to be out of line here) its gonna be about low $400's maybe high 3's. but this is my second one from him and I really like the w2 steel an like his work. The only thing not great with either is food release.

That was a little bit ago so I don't know if they've gone up much.

The blades without handles he has listed on his site ( 240 -250mm gyutos ) are ~375 iirc. And I too really like what he does with W2, which to clarify is not " White 2" didn't know if there was any confusion on the matter.

Not bad! W2 is great stuff. It can take a light surface rust VERY quickly, though. The good thing is, it comes off with gentle scrubbing. Other than that, the food reactivity is good, edge taking is great...anyways....

I say try a Fowler.

W2 is easily one of my favorite steels, more so over 52100, especially if done right, Fowlers edge profiles are variable, no two knives are consistent. One may have more belly than another, but in generally they are very flat, too flat for me...

Are you just looking to try out some steels? I might have some options for you to play with, but not to buy.

Did you do anything to reveal the hamon more?

No. I've realized that they patina at different rates and that's my favorite way to bring it out.

What I noticed about Fowler (when I dealt with him awhile ago) is that prices for full custom work really isn't that much more than his "ready to go" stuff and turn-around time was super quick.
He's one of those guys that really seems to enjoy taking about design and special projects, and if you look back at the history of his work, it's clear he's willing to try different styles of handles, profiles, geometries, etc. His execution has gone waaaay up, but his prices haven't done the same (yet).
Just talk to him about what you want and see what ideas and suggestions he has.

And yeah turbo: you gota' a real perdy one thar!!!

Latest posts

Back