Quantcast
new triple A french steel, hrc 59-60
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new triple A french steel, hrc 59-60

new triple A french steel, hrc 59-60

hello, i found on the website of one of my favourites edc maker a line of pro tools, high priced and with a "new type of steel" "enriched in nitrogen" which promesses ease of sharpening and strong rust resistance (stainless steel officially)

i wondered if anyone had one of these in hand and could give a little review.

here's the link

http://www.couteau.com/couteau-de-cuisine.html

They looked great until I saw the price. I would never pay more than $100 for a knife with a bolster.

If I'm reading right, the ironwood paring knife sells for 265 pounds, or $414. Sacre bleu!

yes, i know :s thats why i wondered if it could be somehow worth it.

this maker is anyways pretty expensive, EDC's are around 220€ in shops, and the F&F is very nice on the ones i've seen and my t45 (the cheapest one, 100$) performs great.

wait and see i guess.

If I won the lottery this would be a great impulse buy, but as it stands, kinda hard to justify. Don't get me wrong, would love to try one and they look great; simple and elegant. But I'd hate to grind off a bolster on a $900+ knife made of a stainless (reasonably hard) steel I know nothing about. They look to have a little more belly than your standard french pattern too, or maybe that's just me.

Still, if someone buys one I'd be keen to see a review

I like the forks. Would be great to find out where they get their blanks from.

Finish on the blades is far from being called polished.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by JKerr View Post
    They look to have a little more belly than your standard french pattern too, or maybe that's just me.
    It's not just you. The tip is much higher than common with French blades. They are assembled and finished in Thiers according to the text, so, a contrario, produced elsewhere, not necessarily in France, as normally clearly stated. In combination with some mystery steel with a fantasy denomination, verbuous text and excessive price setting, there is some odour of swindle coming of.

They looked influenced by Kramer knives. Interesting.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I have their steak knives in olive wood. Very nice stuff. No idea how the kitchen knives are, though. Never seen them.

I bought a set of Forge de Laguiole knives and they claimed some secret T12 steel with higher carbon. It was likely just a slightly modified 440 steel. So they basically changed enough of the steel to make it proprietary, then claim amazing things. I wouldn't suspect that the steel used in the knives you posted is anything so special that it be better performing.

With that said, it is too bad that most of the European prices have VAT included, so there is around 20% more on the list price. It would be cool if places that shipped to the US would be able to subtract that tax out. It won't make them totally reasonable, but at least more reasonable.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson