Quantcast
new triple A french steel, hrc 59-60 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: new triple A french steel, hrc 59-60

Sorry to drag this thread up again, but after a little trolling through Perceval and Triple A forges facebook pages, it looks like the steel is X40CrMoVN16-2, which zknives relates to X15:
    http://zknives.com/knives/steels/ste...18,&hrn=1&gm=0

Perhaps I'm wrong seeing as I don't speak French, but their seemed to be a few references regarding this steel and the kitchen knives. Anyone got any experience with said steel?

Cheers
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by 3200+++ View Post
    me too, but in a country like france, don't let the unesco patrimony cooking thing fool anyone, 99.9% of people eat bad food and don't have a clue about knives. mybe perceval are trying to protect their discovery...

before actually trying the knife, we don't know... just saying this maker is far from the worse usually.
    I am a little surprized,but I guess it is the times we live in. I thought France might be a little better. Cooks as a rule take better care of their knives,they have to it's the job.99.9% of homemakers are clueless about knives & sharpening.People work more to pay the bills & eat cheap take out instead of preparing meals.Even the grocery stores here do a big buss. preparing take out plates,some have hot food choices in heated pans. Honolulu Times even has a sushi maker.Lots of food choices for people comming home fr. work.

My last holdout is Japan,I learned sharpening fr. Japanese Nationals. They make such great knives. The Culinary school here has quite a few students fr. Japan.I have noticed that most of these not only have better knives,but also sharpening knowledge.The Local kids buy these cheap Mecer kits sold by the school.Bottom of the line Mercers wt. crap steel.The Locals have a desire to learn,some have bought a better knife & are on their way with freehand skills.

I still think that Asians use better knives and have more sharpening skills than Americans & Europeans.I could be wrong maybe they all eat takeout now & have lost knife knowledge.

I could be wrong maybe they all eat takeout now & have lost knife knowledge.
    in a mostly westernized country like mine, that is very true. which is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    I am a little surprized,but I guess it is the times we live in. I thought France might be a little better. Cooks as a rule take better care of their knives,they have to it's the job.99.9% of homemakers are clueless about knives & sharpening.People work more to pay the bills & eat cheap take out instead of preparing meals.Even the grocery stores here do a big buss. preparing take out plates,some have hot food choices in heated pans. Honolulu Times even has a sushi maker.Lots of food choices for people comming home fr. work.

My last holdout is Japan,I learned sharpening fr. Japanese Nationals. They make such great knives. The Culinary school here has quite a few students fr. Japan.I have noticed that most of these not only have better knives,but also sharpening knowledge.The Local kids buy these cheap Mecer kits sold by the school.Bottom of the line Mercers wt. crap steel.The Locals have a desire to learn,some have bought a better knife & are on their way with freehand skills.

I still think that Asians use better knives and have more sharpening skills than Americans & Europeans.I could be wrong maybe they all eat takeout now & have lost knife knowledge.
    this makes sense! you know, last time i saw a chef i know (i went to have a coffee with the bistro restaurant owner) i told him i ordered a 250€ 120mm knife and he looked at me like if i was stupid... money rules everywhere nowdays, and people think wrong i think. i's way more costly to buy cheap things, as you have to replace them all the time (besides the lack of efficiency)

it can be applied to tools too, facom french tools used to be a reference in quality, now they are made in china, soft and crappy and still sold premium price. i compared 2 phillips screw drivers: one recent facom and a very old yellow and black stanley. the facom is dead rounded and the stanley is like new!
    and i prefer not to talk about sashimi. sushi restaurants chains are killing raw fish like grill chains have killed meat and so on. it's called "le nivellement par le bas" imo which means "making the reference low in people mind so crap becomes acceptable. once it's done they raise the price and sell crap at high prices

the more i understand economics the more i hate this science.

happy and reassured to find folks here who have a clue and share a bit tho!

capitalism is faulty. specially with planned obsolescence going on.

=D

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    capitalism is faulty. specially with planned obsolescence going on.

=D
    planned obsolescense in France???

Quote Originally Posted by 3200+++ View Post
    ... it's called "le nivellement par le bas" imo which means "making the reference low in people mind so crap becomes acceptable. once it's done they raise the price and sell crap at high prices

the more i understand economics the more i hate this science.

happy and reassured to find folks here who have a clue and share a bit tho!
    Thank you for sharing this. To witness this process at its furthest extreme to date, come and see what passes for chocolate, bread and beer in Australia. Not to mention what happens to ethnic restaurants who want to survive!

planned obsolescence everywhere! but its only the outer part of the iceberg.

there was a very good french/german film on this (regarding electronics) where they showed how tv makers (lg, samsung) were designing the motherboards so the heatsinks were the closest possible to low end capacitors to reduce lifetime (capacitors can take more and more heat for more and more time as you go higher end) and make sure your $700 tv would be replaced in a few years time...

france is considered one of the last countries where capitalism doesn't rule, but the truth is like everywhere else 10% of pop own 60% of the wealth! and don't make good use of it.

unfortunately, class struggle is over. Capitalism has won. at least the wrong side of it.

but its a little off topic

planned obsolescence everywhere! but its only the outer part of the iceberg.
    yes everywhere. =D

I have a Matag washer I bought in 1984.Replaced the belts a couple times, also replaced the water pump & a rubber hose.When the guy fixed the pump & replaced the hose I asked him if the new hose was as good as the old one,he said no,they don't provide the high quality hoses anymore.Also he said my belts have even wear so the Trans is in good shape the washer should last along time more.

He told me the new Matags do not last as long and are more expensive to fix.

I have a few carbon knives over 100 yrs. old of high quality.

+ Reply to Thread