Alternatives to Sugimoto No.22

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkdc

Reaction score
Are there other high quality alternatives to the thicker Sugimoto 22 or Sugimoto 3? I'm looking for a thicker high quality cleaver, and it seems like the default choice with a lack of competitors.

Can't really think of much off the top of my head. Sakai Takayuki make one that's about 700g and made of white 2 but it's only 210x75mm. Another option would be getting one custom made from Moritaka.

Out of interest, what are you cutting with it? I'd like to pick up a #22 but for it's intended purpose I'd rather abuse a $20 cleaver than a $300+ one.

Cheers,
Josh

Just bought a CCK No. 2 BBQ cleaver more out of curiosity than anything. Wow, this thing is huge! About 1/4-inch thick at the base. You could certainly chop a whole hog in to BBQ with no problem with it but it may be a bit of over kill for the bone in Chinese style chicken chopping I do.

Thinkin' of picking up a CCK chopper sometime. Thought about getting the Yoshikane chopper but figured for the low amount of use it'd see and the fact that I still don't feel comfortable with the idea of chopping through bone with a really nice knife means the CCK is a definite choice to consider. It's a good step above the $20 no-names, and yet won't hurt my heart too much to really chop through bones with it :)

Okay. You guys convinced me to go with a cheaper Chinese chopper.

Back