Sharpening a co workers steak knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPBacon

Reaction score
Hey guys. Been on the boards for awhile (mainly lurking :angel2:) but need some advice on sharpening these steak knives for a co worker.

he noticed my knives are constantly sharp and asked if i sharpened. i told him i would be happy to sharpen whatever he needs.

next day he handed me this box of steak knives.

normally would be no issue but they seem to be single bevel.

anyone think i should try to cut a 50/50 into them? or just keep them with the very tiny single bevel?

they are sort of old and chipped/beat up and i believe he tried to sharpen a 50/50 into one of them as it has a half-ass bevel on one side (like most of his knives at work haha)

Anyways any advice would be appreciated
the knives:
bdzvAoh.jpg

bevel side :
Ule6YzW.jpg

flat side :
lM4tdaP.jpg

(forgive the dirty counter i was making lunch :D)

My rule of thumb is to try and preserve the original geometry of any knife that I'm sharpening; so for these I would sharpen on the front side and only deburr on the back, with a tiny back bevel, a la a honesuki.

I fully agree with Dusty; I would add that the first time I verify with the good old Magic Marker Trick whether there's some microbevel.

Holy **** it's about time you got here! Good to have you.

II would think these may be like sharpening a 99/1 bevel like some honesuki or hankotsu. Double check under a loupe or with a magic marker. If there's a tiny back bevel, you can use my hankotsu sharpening video as a guide.

Holy **** it's about time you got here! Good to have you.

II would think these may be like sharpening a 99/1 bevel like some honesuki or hankotsu. Double check under a loupe or with a magic marker. If there's a tiny back bevel, you can use my hankotsu sharpening video as a guide.

word lol. see that join date? january of '12 haha only two posts now :p

I've watched that video, i'll go check the bevel under my loupe and watch it again for reference.

thanks for the advice!

It's ok I just started posting a month or so ago and look at my join date

Back