Cheese knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
I now have a cheeseboard to do at work....so...

what kind of knives do you use for cheese? Ever used one of those funky looking cheeseknives? The guy before me had this old cleaver which he used because it was kind of hilarious.

I've been using a thin petty. It doesn't really work that well...the cleaver worked better! I have a pot of hot water next to me which helps though.

For soft cheese, any narrow blade to avoid dragging. I use a non-serrated steak knife. For Roquefort, wide and thin to keep a piece together. For very old hard cheese, any both thin and stiff blade, I use an old Victorinox scimitar.

A piece of thin, strong wire with a piece of wooden dowel attatched to each end is pretty efficient for most cheeses. Really hard cheese still needs a knife.

Maybe a Rhino Chop?:beatinghead: lol, really depends on the cheese. My kids eat an insane amount of cheese so we just got one of those cheap knives with the holes in them to cut up jack, cheddar etc... For everything else I use a suji.

I tend to use a small-ish, thick (3mm at the spine, but with a good distal taper) cleaver. I think maybe it works because I've got the wide top of the blade where I can put the off hand to press down with, and since it isn't an expensive knife, I don't mind using it that way...

Seems like he is talking about small wheels and chunks that he uses on cheese plates during service. I worked pantry at a place that used a crazy cheeseboard with all kinds of stinky soft cheeses and super hard sheep cheeses and such. I had a really short wustoff 7 inch utility knife I always used. It was really cheap and the quality was fairly poor. I mean it's a wustoff production knife so you can't expect much. It wasn't one of the stamped wustoffs it had a full bolster and black scales.... I'd just look for an inexpensive German utility knive because they don't tend to be as tall as Japanese Pettys and if cheese is stuck all over it you don't have to worry about any rusting. I wouldn't cut those hard cheeses with a soft steel petty knife, I'd be scared about it cracking.

One warning though. If you are cutting chunks off of a huge block like a parm reggiano or something hard. Either use one of those massive cheese knives or put a towel under your hand when pushing on the end of your knife. I have seen a dude slice his wrist so bad on a block of parm trying to push a chef knife through with two hands. I'm scarred for life.

Just my two cents

Back