Quantcast
Damasteel Review - Open Discussion - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Damasteel Review - Open Discussion

I hav been doing some testing with this steel since the knife left the shop. I was aware that the edge thickness was likely going to be brought up. This is the first large knife I ground from this steel, so left it a tad thick to be on the safe side. I am comfortable taking it thinner now for sure, and have one down to 0.007" prior to sharpening. Pics will come soon.

Interesting on the handle. To tall, to thin. I will likely question future customers as to handle preference, thanks. How did the bolsters sit with you, do you see a need for adjustment, if so what are your thoughts? This is the first knife that the bolsters have been brought into play. If a redesign is necessary, then I would like to here more opinions.

Overall, a great review, thankyou, I am learning and considering options with each one.

Pierre

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

i don't remember the bolsters presenting any particular problems, i think you're fine in that regard. i really think it just needs some tweaking, and it'll be there.

I'm not calling you out, but I hope to see a review after you've recovered from a food induced stupor, after the 4th weekend, Robin
    Just kidding, take your time...I am curious to read what you thought, though.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have to say that these passaround is not what Ive expected.
    There is almost none pictures and hardly any reviews. Its rather funny as the bladesmith puts a lot of money, energy and time into it. All Pierre wants to do is to get better based on the feedback, and there is none?

Big disappointment. Lesson learned to other bladesmiths that wants to do a passaround: Choose only 5-6 people that you know are able to do this review.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    I have to say that these passaround is not what Ive expected.
    There is almost none pictures and hardly any reviews. Its rather funny as the bladesmith puts a lot of money, energy and time into it. All Pierre wants to do is to get better based on the feedback, and there is none?

Big disappointment. Lesson learned to other bladesmiths that wants to do a passaround: Choose only 5-6 people that you know are able to do this review.
    Not to be flippant, but how would you know that ahead of time?

If you are completely newcomer then you could ask Dave to find the candidates. However I could name 5-6 candidates I could send the knife to

But you have to agree, that sending a knife around and hardly getting feedback is a positive thing do you?

OD, people are busy with things like making money, to pay bills and spending time with their families. Pierre has gotten a fair bit of great, constructive criticism already.
    In the short time the knife has been out, he's addressed at least 3-4 minor issues that will already make his blades even better than they already were.
    We've learned that damasteel can take and hold a great edge, can be very thin, and absolutely DOES have a place in the kitchen, when the right smith is using it.
    Pierre has been developing new bolster styles, and handle shapes specifically as a result of this passaround, and our members' comments.
    I understand where you are coming from, but we have some great people still waiting to try out the knife. Let's not put the buggy before the horse.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    If you are completely newcomer then you could ask Dave to find the candidates. However I could name 5-6 candidates I could send the knife to

But you have to agree, that sending a knife around and hardly getting feedback is a positive thing do you?
    Granted that part of a pass around is providing feedback, but it also is about giving someone the opportunity to use a bladesmith's knife without the necessity of purchasing it. This may result in that person ordering a knife from the smith, even though they don't post a review.

In the end, it's up to the bladesmith to set the conditions of the pass around process.

Rick

I believe that are 2 purposes of a passaround. One, for the knife maker to get feedback from people who use knives more often they are able to and from multiple sources and points of view. All of us here are customers of high end kitchen knives and deserve to have an opinion about any knife. If they share this feedback with the forum or privately with the knife maker that is up to them. The second, for people to get the chance to see and use a knife they would normally have to buy first to see in person.

Yes, lots of pictures and videos are nice, but sometimes people just don't have the time. Oivind, I know you loved my Rader passaround review, but at that time I was lucky enough to have a good camera and time to do some neat things. I have had the opportunity to use or test other custom made knives and have shared feedback privately with the maker. I actually talked to Pierre in PMs about his passaround gyuto, but since I only handled it for a short time at ECG I didn't think I should post a full review without using it.

It is awesome for all parties involved that so many of our makers are doing passarounds. Let's not insult the makers or the users just because there haven't been enough posts about the knives.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Gentlemen, if I might. The passaround is an idea that was to me, something I had not considered doing. It took a large leap of faith, that is paying off at the moment, for me, and I believe other makers here as well. Us makers have at our disposal, something that makers before us, may have not had. We have a myraid of steels, some of them using chemestry, blending routines, and heat treat regimes that are quite complex. There is the internet. A resource that allows us to research profiles, communicate with customers, advertise, etc. And there is perhaps the most valuable resource, the wealth of knowledge that is available from home users, semi-pro, and professional people, who use the knives we make.

The members of the passarounds are serving two purposes. They get to use a knife, maybe see a new steel for the first time (damasteel?), take something for a test drive as it were. In return we as makers get to see where there is room for improvement, a tweek here or there can make or break a design. Those who let us know their thoughts are appreciated more then they realize. We get to fix an issue, before it becomes a reputation. Secondly, a person gets to see a knife in person, to see if it is worth the money to go custom. Maybe you decide to buy a shun, or cutco. Maybe, because of the passaround, a maker makes a new customer or two. Some comments are made by PM, some in private, all are of a huge value to us makers. This is something that we learned the hard way after selling a bunch of knives we thought were great, only to find out through the grapevine, or a drop in sales, that the knife we thought was great is actually crap. If 5 of 20 take the time to comment, and help us out. its worth it. This is a way to learn, and do it quicker than was ever possible before. I for one want to thank those who have commented, ant to tell future users thanks in advance. I'm sure other makers feel similar, and welcome comments from any of them who read this.

Pierre

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

+ Reply to Thread