Quantcast
Damasteel Review - Open Discussion - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Damasteel Review - Open Discussion

You started at 1k then 3k, 5k?

No, I didn't take it below 2k. I don't like to put the passarounds on the 1k, for safety's sake. I'm paranoid with these things. The chips I'm talking about are the kind you can only see when you hold it up and look really close, so it's not like I had to really hog off some steel. I love my Shapton 2k, I learned to sharpen on it and still love the way it sounds.

Eamon, thanks for the great review! Sorry this one was a bugger on the stones. The flat ground blade faces, combines with the damascus pattern, are likely a culprit of the sticking, recent work has taken advantage of convexing of the face. The old learning curve as it were. I beleive the edge was taken steeper by an earlier user in the passaround, as it was felt the steel might benifit from a steeper bevel. This would likely account for the microchipping. All in all, do you feel the Damasteel has a place in a harduse kitchen?

I spit my coffee out again, Hellen Keller playing patty - cake! lol

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I think it did well holding up to poly boards and horrendous amounts of food. This thing was literally cutting actively probably 5-6 hours a day for 7 workdays. It degraded pretty far from where it was off the stones, but it held it's ground at about 85% like a champ. I kept expecting it to start sucking at some point, but it kept on ticking. It didn't scream through food for days, but it was certainly likeable.

Side note, it made very little sound on my stones. I know this has more to do with the dimensions of the blade and the steel it's made of, but what's up with that? It was very quiet.

Glad to hear that convexing the faces has helped with food stickage. Does it really make that big of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    ...Glad to hear that convexing the faces has helped with food stickage. Does it really make that big of a difference?
    You're kidding, right?

Thanks for the review. As always, I enjoyed reading it quite a bit. Thanks again for taking part, and just as importantly, letting us know how it all went down.
    It's crazy what convexing the grind of a knife can do in terms of food release. In fact, Pierre, once this is back in your hands, I bet it could be taken to the grinder and some convexivity could be added fairly easily.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Well, I know how it works and why, but I didn't know it would be a total game-changer. Then again, I've never used a knife that sticks this hard, and did a before and after with it.