Favorite basting/tasting spoons!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Gibson

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been obsessed with spoons, almost as much as I am with knives, since I started cooking. Namely old silver spoons. The other day when I was out at a sort of flee market a lady was selling customized old silver spoons. I had her make me this one and I have been using it to baste my fish ever since. Show me what you use on the line or at home for your spooning needs!

image_zps174c9e7c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I use kunz spoons right now. I"m really considering the ruhlman spoon but not sure what size...plus its a bit expensive.

Kunz knock off (aka Richmond) fan at the moment. Those ruhlman spoons are kind of pricey when all I need to do is just bend the handles on the ones I have at work (sysco cheapo tablespoons) which work great!

The Richmond ones are not the same as the large kunz right? I have tried the large kunz and I love it, but the small ones just don't do it for me.

richmonds are copies of the large kunz just a lil different in weight but pretty much exactly the same as large kunz. i like em i got a couple dozen of them.

I use the above pictured spoon, it's great. Mine has a slightly larger bowl than my Kunz large spoon, the Del damascus spoon is the best one I have used, love it.

I just bought a knife for 240 dollars and its the most expensive knife I own. I don't think I could justify the spoon right now. Ill stick with the 10 dollar kunz lol

I'm surprised you didn't find the cheaper ones.

I'm just kidding you. My utensils in the dwar are the 5$ walmart special for a whole tray. Altho I do love the silver spoons too.

A 275 dollar spoon... Uhh I don't think so

When I first mentioned the idea of a Damascus spoon years ago I got the same response you just made from just about everyone. It took me over a year to find someone to make me one, another 2+ years after that to talk Hoss into makeing me one. Now the idea of a Damascus spoon is not that crazy or unheard of. Think of it this way, When you use a spoon more then a knife, why not?

You may have seen my baby's around, but just in case you have not:

Ariel Salaverria "the 1st Damascus chef tasting spoon"

fc09bc8d.png

328855c4.png

51640e69.png

c11111b1.png

fc57b359.png

5f60f35e.png

The first Spoon Hoss made modeled after the kunz spoon but heat treated to a spring like temper and with a bigger 3TB bowl. You can use the back to pop open oysters.

c68d580b.png

14a2ba5f.png

593a54e8.png

a2931282.png

I loved Hoss's spoon so much that when he did a run of them I bought a few more. The bubble wrap pattern is sick as hell but I don't know if they were made from the same steel mix as the first one he made me and or if they were spring tempered? I say this because they feel and sound a lot different.

6b1b977e.png

Maxum had a set of these bad boys up on his sight so I bought them. Don't know ho made them but who ever did the work for him had some very fine skills. Only complaint is that they are "Normal Spoon" size.

c81e919638b4f892cf48511a98df2da4.jpg

d1058b3d560586a64714b73d30891c54.jpg

c600b92533acfa41342149ae3759995d.jpg

Del made me a few spoons as well and they are amazing works of art, I just don't know what I I'd with that set of photos?

I was hoping you would show your collection. I still want some. :thumbsup:

I hope the Damascus bane Marie comes next. That would be the end all.

wow..i'd never buy a mega money spoon..but i wont knock your willingness!! beautiful!

i recently visited a kitchen store. they had a bunch of crap spoons. but i found one. typical "me", i find the one item that has ZERO info. no scan code, no tag..nothing. the entire staff searched to find out how much to charge me. in the end, they guessed. i was okay with the $15.

the spoon is an unknown. but the heft is perfect. the bowl is perfect, and the angle of the handle is perfect. it is a basting machine. it skims fat off of sauces perfectly. i use it everyday from cooking duties----->to jabbing it into a bowl of food as a serving spoon.

i wish i had another one, but like i said..it is unknown in manufacturer or origin.

Latest posts

Back