Quantcast
DC area sharpening
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC area sharpening

DC area sharpening

I recently stopped by Union Market in DC to see what new shops opened. There is a stall for DC Mobile Sharpening that had some Carters and other stuff up for sale so I gave them a Hattori FH, an old unknown maker 12" scimitar and a Forgecraft 8" butchers knife to see how they did. The guy came by my restaurant to drop the knives off and they're all in great condition. As a kitchen we gathered some more knives together. 2 Watanabe gyutos, 1 Yoshihiro deba, 1 Nenox suj, 1 Kikuichi suj,1 Suisin suj, 2 Carters. Picked them up today and they're real sharp.

If anyone is in the DC area and looking to get some stuff done, I recommend them. Good work and fast turn around. All stone sharpening.

A coworker told me about them, but if i remember correctly the pricing seemed a little steep. Was it reasonsble?

$2 per inch. I have all the stones I need to sharpen myself but I don't have the time. I don't mind paying $18 to have my konosuke fujy ready to go and within a few hours.

Fortunately I have the time to do It myself, but I can see that being worth saving the time. We're you happy with the edge you got? Did they ask how you'd like your edges?

He didn't ask how I wanted my edges but it was nice to see the secondary bevels taken down where they needed to be, as with the thicker knives and in other instances, like with the Carters, he just hit the edges. Apparently he's going to Japan with Murray in a few months. I'm going to guess about a 5-8k edge by feel.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I think this is great. For a change it's nice to hear a positive story about a professional sharpener.

Good to know, thanks for sharing. I've heard of them as well, but wasn't sure how good they were.

They're good. I watched them work. Great to have a resource like them in DC!

Not a question of money,always prefered to sharpen my own.They get trained to your style of tech.so touch ups are easy.I only used carbons.Worked full time kitchen + needed sharp chisels for freelance Ice Carving buss.Would not want anyone else to sharpen my knives or chisels.Even sharpened the teeth on my chainsaw.

Plus when your blades are trained sharpening only takes a couple minutes a blade at most.Takes more time to deliver & pick up blades fr. a sharpener who might screw up your edge.

+ Reply to Thread