DC area sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently stopped by Union Market in DC to see what new shops opened. There is a stall for DC Mobile Sharpening that had some Carters and other stuff up for sale so I gave them a Hattori FH, an old unknown maker 12" scimitar and a Forgecraft 8" butchers knife to see how they did. The guy came by my restaurant to drop the knives off and they're all in great condition. As a kitchen we gathered some more knives together. 2 Watanabe gyutos, 1 Yoshihiro deba, 1 Nenox suj, 1 Kikuichi suj,1 Suisin suj, 2 Carters. Picked them up today and they're real sharp.

If anyone is in the DC area and looking to get some stuff done, I recommend them. Good work and fast turn around. All stone sharpening.

A coworker told me about them, but if i remember correctly the pricing seemed a little steep. Was it reasonsble?

$2 per inch. I have all the stones I need to sharpen myself but I don't have the time. I don't mind paying $18 to have my konosuke fujy ready to go and within a few hours.

Fortunately I have the time to do It myself, but I can see that being worth saving the time. We're you happy with the edge you got? Did they ask how you'd like your edges?

He didn't ask how I wanted my edges but it was nice to see the secondary bevels taken down where they needed to be, as with the thicker knives and in other instances, like with the Carters, he just hit the edges. Apparently he's going to Japan with Murray in a few months. I'm going to guess about a 5-8k edge by feel.

I think this is great. For a change it's nice to hear a positive story about a professional sharpener.

Not a question of money,always prefered to sharpen my own.They get trained to your style of tech.so touch ups are easy.I only used carbons.Worked full time kitchen + needed sharp chisels for freelance Ice Carving buss.Would not want anyone else to sharpen my knives or chisels.Even sharpened the teeth on my chainsaw.

Plus when your blades are trained sharpening only takes a couple minutes a blade at most.Takes more time to deliver & pick up blades fr. a sharpener who might screw up your edge.:2cents:

I'm with you in that I would basically never let anyone else sharpen my knives but it is good to have a place to send guests and friends of the restaurant who want help maintaining knives from someone who knows what they are doing.

Latest posts

Back