Quantcast
Why so japanocentric? - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so japanocentric?

From a neutral standpoint it really doesn't seem to me that Birnando is being anti-American, perhaps since he is not being as pro-American as the forum is used to, it is being noticed? And that's the beautiful thing about opinions, they can never be wrong by definition.

With a forum that is as great as this, I think it is essential that users with a different opinion to the masses in certain subjects are not bullied out by the mob, which is exactly what this kind of thing "I am guessing your daddy was a pretentious a$$hole because you are AMAZING at it" could end up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    I hate to say it Bernardo but your opinions are wrong.
    And your status as a foster parent is poor support for your arguments.
    I find your elitist and anti-American ranting to be annoying and somehow boring at the same time.
    Your idea that someone is a better knife maker because their daddy did it too is strange to me.
    I am guessing your daddy was a pretentious a$$hole because you are AMAZING at it.
    If you find my posts anti-American, then I am sorry that you feel that way.
    I tried to explain that I am no such thing, but clearly, I failed to do so in a manner that convinced you.
    The annoying part I can understand, but I'm not sure I quite believe the boring part

The dad thing was merely a comment to the fact that quite a few of the knife-shops in Japan seem to be a family thing.
    Meaning many of the knife-smiths followed in their fathers footsteps.
    That does not mean anything other than that.
    I'd say that they will learn pretty much the same from any knife-smith they work for.

You are quite right about my dad, although it seems a tad out of place on a forum such as this..
    He most certainly was what you indicate.

As for the compliment to me, all I could really say is thank you, it meant a lot to me.

I don't sense any nation-bashing here nor do I see racism. Let's not inject any now, nor any personal bashing.

There are some pointed views and comments. * That* is perfectly fine and welcome.
    Len

Bernie,
    Ok. I think what you just wrote was pretty witty.
    I'm not sure but I think I am starting to like you.
    But your opinions are still wrong.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    I am guessing your daddy was a pretentious a$$hole because you are AMAZING at it.
    There are a few of those here, but Birnando isn't one of them

I keep coming back to this thread meaning to add my 2 cents but too many new thoughts keep popping into my head. I reckon it's a subject that's best brought up at the pub, over a few beers and debated to the point where all objectivity is lost and there is no clear answer.

Every now again a thread pops up along the lines of "Who makes the best knife?" and it's either shot down or the first reply is along the lines of "No such thing", and we're basically arguing the same thing so why it became personal in the first place, I have no idea.

If you want my opinion, I reckon the random French bloke who made my vintage K sab filleting knife gets my vote simply because I love that knife......but who knows, maybe he was a Japanese intern...

I haven't followed this thread too closely in the last couple of days so I am a little surprised by negativity. Tone it down folks.

There is nothing wrong having an opinion and stating it, and nothing wrong with challenging a person's opinion as long as it is done in constructive way. I challenged Birnando to a contest and he accepted it, and both of us are looking forward to it.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I haven't followed this thread too closely in the last couple of days so I am a little surprised by negativity. Tone it down folks.There is nothing wrong having an opinion and stating it, and nothing wrong with challenging a person's opinion as long as it is done in constructive way. I challenged Birnando to a contest and he accepted it, and both of us are looking forward to it. M
    I'm looking forward to more details about how it will be structured, and the results.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I have no connection to Marko, other than meeting him once at a dinner. Have never held one of his knives. That being said, I have been around long enough to know, Marko has handled probably every great knife, American and Japanese. He has asked a million questions; studied; visited knowledgeable makers, and picked their brains; studied some more; tried and tested techniques a million times; probably tossed as many knives as he's sold, all in the pursuit of perfection; stopped production and made people wait, because he discovered some new technique that could possibly make his product just that much better...

I'd blindly put up one of his knives against anything comparably priced from anyone and from anywhere. Good luck with this bet...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I would love to see both of those knives entered into that contest first hand. Would love to use them.

+ Reply to Thread