Quantcast
Why so japanocentric? - Page 21
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Why so japanocentric?

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I suppose hones == stones? Anyway, how long that keennss lasts if you bash the edge and scrape on the board an chip it? I have not used any of my Japanese knives fresh off the stone, as usual I go with 3 different strops after that, I can't really comment on exact longevity under such use, but I suspect stronger edge would help.
    I'll strop most of my knives as well, usually with a pasted felt strop followed by a leather paddle I have.

Correct, hones=stones.
    As the bulk of my honing is done on straight razors, I tend to use the more commonly used term from that scene

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Well, as it was posted, sounds like you guys would rather have Shirogami or Aogami at 60 hrc is vs. 64-65... There's plenty of makers doing both, so which one would you choose?
    No, I don't think so. The 64-65 mark is well within what I consider preferable.
    On the right steel, with the right grind, and with the proper angle.

While others tend to disagree with that, there really is no right or wrong with either.
    Simply put, this boils down to preferenses, not quality.

Well, at least in the realms of custom/semi custom/high grade area we seem to discuss i this thread.

Birnando, Perhaps you should post some pics of your knives? I'm sure there are may of here that would love to see what knife could possibly stand up to your scrutiny.

Let me guess, you picked up the "Homemaker plus eight right?" Little Cutco humor. Serious, pleae post some pics of your favorite blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Birnando, Perhaps you should post some pics of your knives? I'm sure there are may of here that would love to see what knife could possibly stand up to your scrutiny.

Let me guess, you picked up the "Homemaker plus eight right?" Little Cutco humor. Serious, pleae post some pics of your favorite blades.
    Heh, yeah, how could I go wrong with the Homemaker + 8
    US made and all

Quite a few of my knives are already on this site.
    More will follow.
    Heck, I even bought one more just today, ordered another custom two days ago, and a third one is in my shopping cart on a webshop we all know
    Perhaps I should start a "Birnando's Knives v.2.0" thread some day.

On a serious note though, standing up to my scrutiny doesn't take something way out of the norm.
    I simply have my preferences, as I am sure most here do.
    Luckily there are variation in those, otherwise what fun would this forum be?

Quote Originally Posted by Squilliam View Post
    I may be taking you out of context here, but age is related to scarcity and scarcity is related to value. Let alone tradition, sentiment etc. which are both very valuable to people, more valuable than money and logic.
    Poor wording on my part, but having trouble selecting better words...."intrinsic relationship" maybe? Not sure at all about a relationship of age to scarcity, or that scarcity is related to value.....which is different from price, and probably impossible to define in objective terms.

mainly I'm trying to say that "older is better" and "newer is better" are absurd oversimplifications...."better is better."
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-arrived-today
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

FWIW, I became interested in German knives after hearing about them from a German member (iceman01) and tried to get my hands on some Herder/Windmuehlenmesser carbons.

So I emailed that Messerkontor outfit (several times, albeit in English) and did not get a single reply - seems they are not at all interested in export business. I also noticed that their listed prices are outrageously marked up to the MAX.

Eventually, someone (apologies, can't remember who) hooked me up with an ebay seller called Kochenmachspass and I got some very cheap straight edged carbon parers that I still like and use whenever I can. This seller was very helpful and courteous. They have some interesting shapes, steels and handles woods but my general impression is that the German products are a terrible value compared to the Japanese. The prices are outrageously high for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Birnando View Post
    Australia is a great idea
    It is hard to imagine a neutral ground further away from Mr. Tsourkan and I

And a bottle of that shiraz wouldn't be wrong, not at all
    I'm more partial to wines from the Coonawarra region.

German blades poor value??

Have a look:

http://www.edenwebshops.co.uk/en/ct/...der-knives.htm

please be aware you might be entitled to VAT restitution if you live outside Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Have a look:

http://www.edenwebshops.co.uk/en/ct/...der-knives.htm

please be aware you might be entitled to VAT restitution if you live outside Europe.
    Thank you, I may try the 1922 8" chefs one day. Shipping costs to Australia can often make it into a bad deal, though.

Edit to add: I see that Australia (where I am) is not included in the Shipping Options - doesn't mean they won't/don't though but I suspect that the damage would be high.

The K2 on that page also looks like fun but after you convert GBP into AUD and add shipping it becomes a poor value. And, sorry to be rude, but nothing on that page is really anything to really get excited about. I would probably take a Tanaka in Blue#2.

This might be another consideration to add: the cost structure for shipping outside Europe is often a competitive disadvantage for knife exporters.

And those wa-gyuto-inspired blades on Messerkontor that they are asking 400-500 Euros for look like very very bad value indeed. Pretty huge luxury price premium there, I would imagine.

From limited past experience, shipping from Germany itself (to Australia) is very expensive - their very strict consumer protection regulations are the cause, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    ... Im not going to put anything in your mouth...
    ROFL!!! I just read this.

Anyway, back on topic - this is what I mean by poor value (sheesh, the nerve of these guys):
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Windmuhle...241375c&_uhb=1