Quantcast
Why so japanocentric? - Page 4
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so japanocentric?

Birnardo, You make some loaded statements and claims. Could you share with us where you knowledge of cutlery comes from? Have you ever forged steel or crafted original handles? You openly say you haven't tried many US knife profiles. So how do you know they're not good or better than other countries.

Remember prior to 1980, France was the most respected wine country in the world, seems that those ignorant fools in California changed that perspective. Given that wine has been made since circa 7000 BCE, those stubborn Americans changed that perspective in just 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Remember prior to 1980, France was the most respected wine country in the world, seems that those ignorant fools in California changed that perspective. Given that wine has been made since circa 7000 BCE, those stubborn Americans changed that perspective in just 30 years.
    OK, I'm still of the mindset that French wines are much more enjoyable as a whole than those from California--big and in your face works better with IPA's than Bordeaux grapes. Sorry for tangent...
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Birnardo, You make some loaded statements and claims. Could you share with us where you knowledge of cutlery comes from? Have you ever forged steel or crafted original handles? You openly say you haven't tried many US knife profiles. So how do you know they're not good or better than other countries.
    Thank you, that is an easy question to answer.
    No, I have never made anything with any kind of steel.
    Much like most of the makers customers I guess..
    My knowledge of cutlery comes from an interest in quality steel for all my needs.
    I am a hobbyist cook, all I cook for is my family and friends.
    I am not very good at it, but I do enjoy it highly, and have done so for many many years.
    My interest in steel products are also fueled by the fact that my line of work has me using steel tools every day for 8 hours, and the fact that I have been shaving with a straight for a few years now. Both my head and my face.
    I do hone for others, a few thousand razors by now. For some reason people seem to like my edges on their kitchen knives as well, but I'll gladly admit to being a novise at that.
    So basically, I am a happy amateur.
    Or as you imply, a very opinionated amateur

I do hope you are kidding me now.
    While the US, and a slew of other nations, make some really delicate wines these days, I must call BS on this.
    Outside a very patriotic USA, there is still but one king in that world, and that is France, with Italy as a good second.

Woah, i did not meant to start an intercontinental war here, i was just curious.....

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1071 View Post
    Woah, i did not meant to start an intercontinental war here, i was just curious.....
    My sincere apologies for being part of that hijack.
    Seriously!

Birnardo, We call your statements "pure conjecture" in little ole USA. So you've never crafted knives and you're an admittedly poor amature cook. As you say "I hope your kidding me now" as its unclear to me how you're qualified to determine a knifes usefulness?

I know how to drive a car but I'm not going to give the Schumacher's driving advise. Perhaps you should keep that in mind.

Isn't that kind of like like how you're all experts in steel metallurgy but none of you are metallurgists. Doesn't seem to stop anyone's expertise. I think Birnardo's statements are as fair in claim as everyone else's in that regard, based on his personal experience which may differ from others.

Welcome to KKF Banjo!

Birnardo, We call your statements "pure conjecture" in little ole USA. So you've never crafted knives and you're an admittedly poor amature cook. As you say "I hope your kidding me now" as its unclear to me how you're qualified to determine a knifes usefulness?

I know how to drive a car but I'm not going to give the Schumacher's driving advise. Perhaps you should keep that in mind.
    Hi there.
    It's Birnando, with 2 N's..

Whoa, I ruffled some feathers there, did I?
    I admitted to being an amateur cook, not a poor one

Do tell me this; How is a customer not having the "right" experience ever gonna be heard?
    Do you yourself make knives for a living?
    And have you done so for years?
    If not, then why do you post anything at all around this subject?
    I'll answer that for you:
    The whole point of a forum is to share experiences and learn about the field at hand, no?

With your logic regarding experience in making steel, I would expect that not a single soul should speak to their quality again, except for those in the know.
    i.e. the makers themselves...

I'm certain you see the fallacy in that statement, and what you've seen me state in this thread was my views on the matter.
    Take it for what it is worth to you, but trying to belittle your combatants on a subject really reflects badly on you, not me.

Don't you think their customers opinions matter at all, or are only the maker able to make a call about perceived quality on it?
    Are they making knives only to the proffesional market?
    I'd love for any custom maker to state that in this thread!
    And leave the US hat off for just that tiny second to make a reasonable argument about it, would you?

Now, back to your wine statement.
    Do embellish!

Just want to say that as somebody raised in Napa, it makes me cringe every time I hear that Napa/CA/US wines rival what comes out of the old world.

i think one important fact is, Japan still has a huge knife making industry / culture. Makes the makers compete with each other, which means they have to constantly perfect their steel / techniques.
    I don't see this in European countries.