Quantcast
Why so japanocentric? - Page 5
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so japanocentric?

That's what Japanese are known for. taking something and making it their craft with a lifetime of dedication and passing it down to their heirs. And the result of that is japanese knife makers improving their craft over time in the pursuit of perfection. That to me is a level of of craftsmanship that will take different cultures a lifetime to catch up too. Think Japanese culture tends to pass down professions from generation to generation. Or we'll at least the some still do. Although Japanese culture is becoming more westernized some traditionalist still exist and you can see that in knife and sword making.

Quote Originally Posted by mzer View Post
    Just want to say that as somebody raised in Napa, it makes me cringe every time I hear that Napa/CA/US wines rival what comes out of the old world.
    Actually, in 2 different cases, blind comparison of napa + french wines has resulted in napa wines being judged better....by french judges. obviously, no one is bound to agree with that assessment...and each has their own preferences...but until wine judging is routinely done blindly, it is all BS. Double-blind testing is the hallmark of objectivity. As a brewer, this was also my experience in brewing competitions....I could submit beer from the SAME EXACT KEG with two different recipes (obviously this violates the rules) and get COMPLETELY different assessments from the same judges.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I am glad my bet was accepted. Look forward to the competition

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I am glad my bet was accepted.

M
    From a neutral point of view, great stuff! I hope that the findings are made for all to view. And on a random note, I for one have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Its the passionate and (for the most part!) informed debates like this that make this forum the best for kitchen cutlery. Long may it continue.

M
    But of course.
    A man is nothing but his word..
    I look forward to our little experiment.
    Have faith in this, if nothing else, should I loose this bet, I will be the first to post as much.

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Birnando View Post
    But of course.
    A man is nothing but his word..
    I look forward to our little experiment.
    Have faith in this, if nothing else, should I loose this bet, I will be the first to post as much.
    Judgment of Seki?

For clarity's sake:

In approaching Mr. Tsourkan in Pm I offered the following bet:

Hi Mr. Tsourkan.

You know the saying, a man is only as good as his word.
    Well, here I am trying to stand by my word.

I appreciate your reply to my initial post in the thread that lead us to discuss US custom makers.

I am proposing this:
    How about if I provide a Kato or a Shigefusa to our bet?
    And you provide whatever you consider a match, or even better, a superior product made by a maker of your choice?
    I'm not gonna hold you to the 3 year statement!

The conditions I would suggest for this bet are these:

It is to be tested on neutral ground.
    It is to be based on function, not form.

If that sounds ok to you, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, to the extent of providing odds of 2 to 1.
    Meaning, I will, if I loose this bet, I will double whatever you put up.
    Within reason, I am not gonna use 10's of thousand on this

What do you say to a bet of a hundred bucks?
    (feel free to suggest otherwise, up or down)
    I'll double whatever we agree upon should our impartial third party find the custom superior to my Japanese Gyoto?

Regarding the third party, I would suggest we find someone without a knowledge of KKF, and that is not a US or Norwegian citizen.

I will, as promised, cover all costs involved in making this work.
    That means shipping, insurance and packaging.

Let me know what you think.

Regards
    Bjoernar (birnando)

It's actually great to see the little compo going. I am also interested in the result, and for now, i am sided with birnando.
    Maybe a panel with a Japanese, an American and an European is warranted?

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Actually, in 2 different cases, blind comparison of napa + french wines has resulted in napa wines being judged better....by french judges. obviously, no one is bound to agree with that assessment...and each has their own preferences...but until wine judging is routinely done blindly, it is all BS. Double-blind testing is the hallmark of objectivity. As a brewer, this was also my experience in brewing competitions....I could submit beer from the SAME EXACT KEG with two different recipes (obviously this violates the rules) and get COMPLETELY different assessments from the same judges.
    You conflating a group of wines and wines in general. The 76-78 tastings don't tell you anything about the superiority of Napa or French wines, but of the comparisons of certain wines at certain times. While interesting as a media or marketing event, and historically important for our wine industry, it doesn't say much about the wines produced by two winemaking nations.

Great thread, cant wait to see the results of the knifeoff, maybe one of the Aussie forum members can send the winner a bottle of some new world Margaret River Cabernet, we dont make a bad new world shiraz either.