Media Would you pay 2.5k for this?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[video]http://youtu.be/vd73OffppZw[/video]

Ha!! That's hilarious.Probably cost him about $50.00 to put it together from some scraps he had lying around.
$2500.00 my @ss.
What's he calling it? "The hillbilly pro sharpener" ?? :-D

Only if his furry fella friend is included.

Ha!! That's hilarious.Probably cost him about $50.00 to put it together from some scraps he had lying around.
$2500.00 my @ss.

Gizmo supreme. Its actually not a terrible design.

$2500.00 my @ss.

You got to give the guy some credit. 2.5K is a stretch, but his setup is better than electric grinders and one can mix and match belts. This system is perfect for sharpening German or other low-end knives with convex grinds. Belts conform to a convex edge, so you can blend the bevel pretty well.
You get a knife 'sharp' is 3 min and even if you charge $5 per knife, you can make $100 an hour (mathematically speaking). Not bad at all.

I wont' be surprised if the design is cloned and used in some 'pro' sharpening setup. I for one am going to bookmark this page. :)

If I were to suggest an improvement to Mr. Jackson it would be to add a VFD to his setup and tune up the components so the grinder doesn't make as much noise. Too much racketing noise for my taste.

M

Hmm, I was looking at getting a grinder/polisher for some knife handles anyway. Now I know I can attach some pulleys and some aluminum oxide belts and make a sharpener too. I'm SOLD! :happy2:

You got to give the guy some credit. 2.5K is a stretch, but his setup is better than electric grinders and one can mix and match belts. This system is perfect for sharpening German or other low-end knives with convex grinds. Belts conform to a convex edge, so you can blend the bevel pretty well.
You get a knife 'sharp' is 3 min and even if you charge $5 per knife, you can make $100 an hour (mathematically speaking). Not bad at all.

I wont' be surprised if the design is cloned and used in some pro sharpening setup.

M

OK I'll give him credit for design,but not for charging $2500.00.
I'm sure that's just the prototype,the finished product will be much more refined..

Its not a new design. The local sharpening shop has been using and selling the same design for years.
sharpmachine.jpg

http://www.knifesharpest.com/Grambo.html

They charge the same for a higher quality system. They can sharpen a knife in less than 3 minutes. They do enough business in knives and sharpening to have 3-5 employees.

LOL. Yep, looks like the idea is not new, though his setup is portable.

M

i jsut kept waitig to see him flip the blade and stick it in the belt wrong and ripe it out his hands

yes. it's a good setup but it uses wheels. I think belt setup for this kind of sharpening (convex, low-end steel knives) is more appropriate.

remember its nt the great edge you can put on with that contraption its how fast you can pump out "sharp" knives to make a buck cause at 3-5$ per knife man you got to grind on lots of knives in a day

Is the maroon bath towel used for stropping included in the $2500?

If the girl comes with it I'll buy it.

He challenges anyone to put their money where their mouth is on the replies... I think Dave should take up the challenge... Put up a big wager, buy up some sweet wood scales from Craig with the winnings, and discount his first run of knives for us.

Come on Dave, you can do it! We're all rooting for ya.

Yeah this has been out there for awhile in one form or another. I believe the Granbo is the most well known version. All too slow for me though.....I like 1.5 min per German knife. :D

Latest posts

Back