Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife bags

I'd say you really have to look at what you will doing at school and what's avail. there to figure out what to bring. Most of the time there's things already in the kitchen like peelers and tongs etc. But if you're like me I carry my own tongs, which is stocked in most kitchens, but I have favorite ones and hate getting ones in different lengths and spring strengths. Same with peelers, thermometers, spats, scissors you get the idea. But if she's going for a baking class maybe just one knife or maybe add a bench scrapper and razor knife or pastry bag tips. LOL you get the idea. Also in the end if there's a test and you need to a particular tool, or it would speed things up a lot, and don't have it or someone else is using it you can get screwed or not put out the dish you really wanted to. I know people that buy plastic tool boxes to carry their stuff in. I have a full ultimate edge bag. I'd rather rely on myself than the facility. OH and bandaids ! I like finger cots too. I hate seeing someone cut themselves then go around looking for a bandaid and disrupting the line and asking someone for one then there's two people looking and well you get it.

If you include parers I carry about 10 all the time. I have the Dick case and it's awesome

My bag usually has a nice gyuto for prep, forschner for service, tongs, spatula, steel, peeler, tape, pens, a small petty/parer in it. Thats more because its too heavy to really load it up and carry it around, along with my whites and all the other garbage I have to take to and from work every day

I could happily wirm with 3, but the ultimate edge bags take only a little more space than a smaller roll...less when opened. So I end up lugging 15/16 with me. Dont have to rember to rotate if you havent sharped before the weekend.. have loaners for people. I do need a little 3 knife piuch so I can bike in without leaving the whole kit at work.

I agree with stumblinman that it depends on what you are doing. From the looks of knifeknreds gig I would guess that there is a lot of variability in the type of tasks he does on any given day. At my current spot I could tell you 80% of the knife tasks that I will perform that day before I leave the house. I carry five knives centered around this certitude.

I want to post a pic but can't in this forum for some reason.
    'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.' Woody Allen

I Switch them around a lot but this is a normal amount for me on any given day. Looks like its about 9-10 knives

that would be great if you drove around in a car. but if you were going to commute, that would raise some eyebrows. =D

Worked with a guy who only had one knife, just kept it in a saya... and rode the bus. Now was also doing some heroin... so I wasn't surprised when the police dropped him off at work following the complaints of a fellow commuter.

I've got this bad boy, 22 piece case, plus the back has a space for my manila folders to store recipes, chefs resumes etc.
    Inside it has 2 slots diagonally that can fit 270mm knives.

I've got this bad boy, 22 piece case, plus the back has a space for my manila folders to store recipes, chefs resumes etc.
    Inside it has 2 slots diagonally that can fit 270mm knives.
    how is it holding up to everyday use? how long have you had it? =D