Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife bags

Knife bags

A coworker recently decided to attend culinary school at night and work at Korin during the day. She carries around a whole bunch of knives and super heavy text books, but this had me wondering... Generally how many knifes do professionals and culinary students carry around?

I feel silly asking considering how I work at Korin, but it's one of those things that really vary. I've seen cooks carry around 1 or 2 knives, then others that will purchase 8 or 16 piece knife bags.

I have a pouch in which I can carry 1 or 2 knives, which is what I do most days. I also have a bigger bag that can carry much more.

I'm currently having a waterproof custom hardside case with foam inserts made that can hold several dozen.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Oh I see, then is it easier to have a bag without slots that you can fit put a whole bunch of knives? ... But then I suppose you wouldn't need a bag specialized for knives.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I think I usually carry 16-18 knives. Also a lot of other tools in my bag too. Tongs, spatulas, rod, spoons, whisk, personal stuff like a cell phone charger, drugs(not illegal ones!) and band-aids. I'm currently using a nice leather roll, but it's not big enough so I've got another roll clipped to it that holds all my traditional Japanese single-bevel knives. I've got someone working on a larger leather one that can hold everything.
    I'm so tired of having to replace my bag every 1 to 1.5 years, and hope the leather will last much longer.
    "See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great."
    -Lane Myer (Definitely not as in Oscar Mayer)

I like to have 4-5 on a normal day. 150 petty for line work, 210 lazer and sometimes 240 hammer or suji for pre-service prep, etc... Fillet and honesuki

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I think I usually carry 16-18 knives. Also a lot of other tools in my bag too. Tongs, spatulas, rod, spoons, whisk, personal stuff like a cell phone charger, drugs(not illegal ones!) and band-aids. I'm currently using a nice leather roll, but it's not big enough so I've got another roll clipped to it that holds all my traditional Japanese single-bevel knives. I've got someone working on a larger leather one that can hold everything.
    I'm so tired of having to replace my bag every 1 to 1.5 years, and hope the leather will last much longer.
    Oh my goodness, thats a lot of stuff and must be crazy heavy. LOL Yea, the leather should hold up better or at least I hope so. Do you prefer the rolls instead of the bags?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    Oh my goodness, thats a lot of stuff and must be crazy heavy. LOL Yea, the leather should hold up better or at least I hope so. Do you prefer the rolls instead of the bags?
    The one I'm having made is more of a bag than a roll. I find the rolls to be a little cumbersome and you can crunch your sayas up in a bad way sometimes. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
    "See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great."
    -Lane Myer (Definitely not as in Oscar Mayer)

Oh! Thank you!

For school?

5 is more than sufficient. Worked for me.

-AJ

I usually bring around 5-6 depending on what I have to do that day but any more than that I find It get's to be excessive.