Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife bags

Knife bags

A coworker recently decided to attend culinary school at night and work at Korin during the day. She carries around a whole bunch of knives and super heavy text books, but this had me wondering... Generally how many knifes do professionals and culinary students carry around?

I feel silly asking considering how I work at Korin, but it's one of those things that really vary. I've seen cooks carry around 1 or 2 knives, then others that will purchase 8 or 16 piece knife bags.

I have a pouch in which I can carry 1 or 2 knives, which is what I do most days. I also have a bigger bag that can carry much more.

I'm currently having a waterproof custom hardside case with foam inserts made that can hold several dozen.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Oh I see, then is it easier to have a bag without slots that you can fit put a whole bunch of knives? ... But then I suppose you wouldn't need a bag specialized for knives.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I think I usually carry 16-18 knives. Also a lot of other tools in my bag too. Tongs, spatulas, rod, spoons, whisk, personal stuff like a cell phone charger, drugs(not illegal ones!) and band-aids. I'm currently using a nice leather roll, but it's not big enough so I've got another roll clipped to it that holds all my traditional Japanese single-bevel knives. I've got someone working on a larger leather one that can hold everything.
    I'm so tired of having to replace my bag every 1 to 1.5 years, and hope the leather will last much longer.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I like to have 4-5 on a normal day. 150 petty for line work, 210 lazer and sometimes 240 hammer or suji for pre-service prep, etc... Fillet and honesuki

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I think I usually carry 16-18 knives. Also a lot of other tools in my bag too. Tongs, spatulas, rod, spoons, whisk, personal stuff like a cell phone charger, drugs(not illegal ones!) and band-aids. I'm currently using a nice leather roll, but it's not big enough so I've got another roll clipped to it that holds all my traditional Japanese single-bevel knives. I've got someone working on a larger leather one that can hold everything.
    I'm so tired of having to replace my bag every 1 to 1.5 years, and hope the leather will last much longer.
    Oh my goodness, thats a lot of stuff and must be crazy heavy. LOL Yea, the leather should hold up better or at least I hope so. Do you prefer the rolls instead of the bags?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    Oh my goodness, thats a lot of stuff and must be crazy heavy. LOL Yea, the leather should hold up better or at least I hope so. Do you prefer the rolls instead of the bags?
    The one I'm having made is more of a bag than a roll. I find the rolls to be a little cumbersome and you can crunch your sayas up in a bad way sometimes. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

For school?

5 is more than sufficient. Worked for me.

-AJ

I usually bring around 5-6 depending on what I have to do that day but any more than that I find It get's to be excessive.