Knife bags

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
A coworker recently decided to attend culinary school at night and work at Korin during the day. She carries around a whole bunch of knives and super heavy text books, but this had me wondering... Generally how many knifes do professionals and culinary students carry around?

I feel silly asking considering how I work at Korin, but it's one of those things that really vary. I've seen cooks carry around 1 or 2 knives, then others that will purchase 8 or 16 piece knife bags.

I have a pouch in which I can carry 1 or 2 knives, which is what I do most days. I also have a bigger bag that can carry much more.

I'm currently having a waterproof custom hardside case with foam inserts made that can hold several dozen.

Oh I see, then is it easier to have a bag without slots that you can fit put a whole bunch of knives? ... But then I suppose you wouldn't need a bag specialized for knives.

I think I usually carry 16-18 knives. Also a lot of other tools in my bag too. Tongs, spatulas, rod, spoons, whisk, personal stuff like a cell phone charger, drugs(not illegal ones!) and band-aids. I'm currently using a nice leather roll, but it's not big enough so I've got another roll clipped to it that holds all my traditional Japanese single-bevel knives. I've got someone working on a larger leather one that can hold everything.
I'm so tired of having to replace my bag every 1 to 1.5 years, and hope the leather will last much longer.

I like to have 4-5 on a normal day. 150 petty for line work, 210 lazer and sometimes 240 hammer or suji for pre-service prep, etc... Fillet and honesuki

I think I usually carry 16-18 knives. Also a lot of other tools in my bag too. Tongs, spatulas, rod, spoons, whisk, personal stuff like a cell phone charger, drugs(not illegal ones!) and band-aids. I'm currently using a nice leather roll, but it's not big enough so I've got another roll clipped to it that holds all my traditional Japanese single-bevel knives. I've got someone working on a larger leather one that can hold everything.
I'm so tired of having to replace my bag every 1 to 1.5 years, and hope the leather will last much longer.

Oh my goodness, thats a lot of stuff and must be crazy heavy. LOL Yea, the leather should hold up better or at least I hope so. Do you prefer the rolls instead of the bags?

Oh my goodness, thats a lot of stuff and must be crazy heavy. LOL Yea, the leather should hold up better or at least I hope so. Do you prefer the rolls instead of the bags?
The one I'm having made is more of a bag than a roll. I find the rolls to be a little cumbersome and you can crunch your sayas up in a bad way sometimes. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

For school?

5 is more than sufficient. Worked for me.

-AJ

I usually bring around 5-6 depending on what I have to do that day but any more than that I find It get's to be excessive.

I'd say you really have to look at what you will doing at school and what's avail. there to figure out what to bring. Most of the time there's things already in the kitchen like peelers and tongs etc. But if you're like me I carry my own tongs, which is stocked in most kitchens, but I have favorite ones and hate getting ones in different lengths and spring strengths. Same with peelers, thermometers, spats, scissors you get the idea. But if she's going for a baking class maybe just one knife or maybe add a bench scrapper and razor knife or pastry bag tips. LOL you get the idea. Also in the end if there's a test and you need to a particular tool, or it would speed things up a lot, and don't have it or someone else is using it you can get screwed or not put out the dish you really wanted to. I know people that buy plastic tool boxes to carry their stuff in. I have a full ultimate edge bag. I'd rather rely on myself than the facility. OH and bandaids ! I like finger cots too. I hate seeing someone cut themselves then go around looking for a bandaid and disrupting the line and asking someone for one then there's two people looking and well you get it.

If you include parers I carry about 10 all the time. I have the Dick case and it's awesome

IMAG0673.jpg

My bag usually has a nice gyuto for prep, forschner for service, tongs, spatula, steel, peeler, tape, pens, a small petty/parer in it. Thats more because its too heavy to really load it up and carry it around, along with my whites and all the other garbage I have to take to and from work every day

I could happily wirm with 3, but the ultimate edge bags take only a little more space than a smaller roll...less when opened. So I end up lugging 15/16 with me. Dont have to rember to rotate if you havent sharped before the weekend.. have loaners for people. I do need a little 3 knife piuch so I can bike in without leaving the whole kit at work.

I agree with stumblinman that it depends on what you are doing. From the looks of knifeknreds gig I would guess that there is a lot of variability in the type of tasks he does on any given day. At my current spot I could tell you 80% of the knife tasks that I will perform that day before I leave the house. I carry five knives centered around this certitude.

I want to post a pic but can't in this forum for some reason.

I Switch them around a lot but this is a normal amount for me on any given day. Looks like its about 9-10 knives

e63b1091.png

24611bea.png

bce6455d.png

that would be great if you drove around in a car. but if you were going to commute, that would raise some eyebrows. =D

Worked with a guy who only had one knife, just kept it in a saya... and rode the bus. Now was also doing some heroin... so I wasn't surprised when the police dropped him off at work following the complaints of a fellow commuter.

MM107722EC.jpg

I've got this bad boy, 22 piece case, plus the back has a space for my manila folders to store recipes, chefs resumes etc.
Inside it has 2 slots diagonally that can fit 270mm knives.

I've got this bad boy, 22 piece case, plus the back has a space for my manila folders to store recipes, chefs resumes etc.
Inside it has 2 slots diagonally that can fit 270mm knives.

how is it holding up to everyday use? how long have you had it? =D

This is what I'm currently rocking. You can see in one of the pics how the tip of a saya pokes out.
View attachment 16280View attachment 16281View attachment 16282

I've got a new one headed my way soon with 20 knife slots.The bottoms adjust to fit any size handle. There are a few zippered pockets you can't see in the pictures too. I found a guy on Etsy I've been collaborating with and he's been great to work with. Very affordable as well. I know at least 2 other forum members have some of my friend's work as well.
View attachment 16283View attachment 16284
I'll send some pics when I get all of my junk in there.

Oh well, I've been posting pics on KKF for over a year, and this is the first time I've uploaded them straight from my 'puter.........
......won't do this again! I'll take the time to put the next ones on photobucket instead!

ECG2013-31_zpsc5aaa4ed.jpg

This is one from the same gent knerd ids referring to. Great freaking bag!

how is it holding up to everyday use? how long have you had it? =D
Yeah not bad, being that it's quite slim its easy to store during service, slides between or under things quite easy.
Think I've had it around 4 years, it would be even better if it was a hard case, aluminium etc, but the outside cleans up fine if it gets liquid on the outside.

Yeah not bad, being that it's quite slim its easy to store during service, slides between or under things quite easy.
Think I've had it around 4 years, it would be even better if it was a hard case, aluminium etc, but the outside cleans up fine if it gets liquid on the outside.

good to hear. might get one when i end up having nowhere else to store my knives. and i already have three bags starting to get full. lol.

oh well. need to cut down.

I Switch them around a lot but this is a normal amount for me on any given day. Looks like its about 9-10 knives

e63b1091.png

24611bea.png

bce6455d.png

Oh wow that looks more like a tool bag! I image it's easier to use though since you don't have to really open up anything. Thanks for sharing! :D

that would be great if you drove around in a car. but if you were going to commute, that would raise some eyebrows. =D

LOL Yea... I think I would be a little concerned if I were in the subway and saw that.

This is what I'm currently rocking. You can see in one of the pics how the tip of a saya pokes out.
View attachment 16280View attachment 16281View attachment 16282

I've got a new one headed my way soon with 20 knife slots.The bottoms adjust to fit any size handle. There are a few zippered pockets you can't see in the pictures too. I found a guy on Etsy I've been collaborating with and he's been great to work with. Very affordable as well. I know at least 2 other forum members have some of my friend's work as well.
View attachment 16283View attachment 16284
I'll send some pics when I get all of my junk in there.

Oh well, I've been posting pics on KKF for over a year, and this is the first time I've uploaded them straight from my 'puter.........
......won't do this again! I'll take the time to put the next ones on photobucket instead!

Oh no, the attachments are loading. :(
I'm excited for your 20 slot knife bag though!

I currently use a koobi kit which usually has approx 9 knives plus tools. But I just ordered a 360mm dragon suji and wonder if anyone knows of a case that will accommodate something that large.

Back