• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Tanaka R2 240 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what are you offering pricewise and are you looking ironwood handle ones or wa handle

Right, forgot about the wa-handled one. I'm looking for the ironwood handled one. Pm incoming

I could probably be convinced to let go of my Tanaka 240 suminagashi R2 WA-gyuto. Good luck with your search.

i honestly couldent let go of mine for under 600 its just such a beast of a knife

i honestly couldent let go of mine for under 600 its just such a beast of a knife

I probably wouldn't be able to either haha.

After some further thought (and a hard look at my personal finances), I've decided to hold back on buying the knife for now. Thanks for the offers guys!

Are they readily available though or is it in the same position as the ks?

Kazuyuki Tanaka, the maker of the ironwood r2 line, passed away last year. I'm not too sure if is son Shigeki is going to continue this line or not. There are still some of the smaller sizes (petty, santoku, nakiri) available in the older cowry x steel. Op, im not too sure if all the knives listed here http://thebestthings.com/knives/tanaka.htm are in stock? Maybe worth a shout?

Shigeki has been making that line for a few years now, maybe since 2008. Currently that line uses R2/SG2 which he says is the same thing.

Oh really, I had no idea that he has been doing them. That's good then, as it really is a great line. JCK hasn't had a new batch in for quite a while now, so might be worth emailing Koki to see if there is a shipment on the horizon. I sold my 240 gyuto at the start of the year and for the life of me still haven't got a clue why. Was a great knife.

I've avoided this conversation, because I want one and was so damn close.... Damn. Thanks for reminding me.

I had a slew of messages after I mentioned that I would be willing to sell mine, but I realized that these wa-gyutos are now a rare commodity, and I don't think I'll part with these babies yet. I had to look high and low for many months until Frank sold me a pair (210 and 240), but Frank's website no longer seems to be functioning. Someone who can read Kanji can tell me whose name is on that wooden box.

Latest posts

Back