Single bevel gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Gibson

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone know any good one sided gyuto makers? I've seen a couple but they are outrageously priced. I'd really like to get one. It seems like such a cool idea.

almost all gyutos from japan are double bevel... to this day, i havent seen a true single bevel gyuto from japan. Now, highly asymmetric... thats a different story.

I always wondered about this too.

Want something to beat on for negi, cucumber, shallot and all the other things we have to bang out thin.

"highly asymmetric..." will be what you need after a few sharpening, but I always hate the idea of buying a high class 50/50 and then grinding the crap out of it.

I always thought that a gyuto was a Japanese made 'western' style blade. Hence the double bevel ?

TC Blades gyutos are heavy, in your face, solid, gyutos with a "virtual single bevel", as I call it. The micro bevel is more like a regular bevel on a laser (small, but definitely there). The bevel on the other side, however, is done just like any single bevel knife. It creates a very different feeling gyuto, but they really are worth experiencing. I like mine quite a bit (and I' sayin this, not as a vendor, but as a member, since I don't have his gyutos on my site).

As for what makes a "single bevel gyuto" different than a deba. In my opinion, that's blade thickness, no ura and much less upsweep at the tip. That's just my opinion.

IIRC, there is a yanagiba profile and a more "regular profile" for kiritsuke. But in terms of use, i remember seeing somewhere saying a kiritsuke more or less serves the same function as a gyuto (does pretty much everything).

I've had no difficulty banging away with my asymmetric grind gyutos and producing paper-thin slices of cucumber. I don't know where a single bevel will help you that much. Learning how to use an usuba requires some time.

my single bevel old hickory 10 inch chef knife (bought it that way) works the same way as any other chef knife i've used.

TC Blades gyutos are heavy, in your face, solid, gyutos with a "virtual single bevel", as I call it. The micro bevel is more like a regular bevel on a laser (small, but definitely there). The bevel on the other side, however, is done just like any single bevel knife. It creates a very different feeling gyuto, but they really are worth experiencing. I like mine quite a bit (and I' sayin this, not as a vendor, but as a member, since I don't have his gyutos on my site).As for what makes a "single bevel gyuto" different than a deba. In my opinion, that's blade thickness, no ura and much less upsweep at the tip. That's just my opinion.
If there's no ura, is it actually a single-bevel? Or is that just part of a "japanese single-bevel?"

I hope Jon will chime in on this because I always thought a Kiritsuke was a Gyuto/Yanagi cross.

I think Brad is asking this because(I think) he is really really really wanting to get into the single-bevel world.
Brad, I think once you get to use/own one, you probably wouldn't really want a gyuto with a single bevel. Yes, my traditional single-bevel knives are awesome and scary-sharp, but the edges tend to be fragile and are better suited to each task they were originally created for.

I am pretty sure yanigiba/deba combo is a Mioroshi deba.

TC Blades gyutos are heavy, in your face, solid, gyutos with a "virtual single bevel", as I call it. The micro bevel is more like a regular bevel on a laser (small, but definitely there). The bevel on the other side, however, is done just like any single bevel knife. It creates a very different feeling gyuto, but they really are worth experiencing. I like mine quite a bit (and I' sayin this, not as a vendor, but as a member, since I don't have his gyutos on my site).

As for what makes a "single bevel gyuto" different than a deba. In my opinion, that's blade thickness, no ura and much less upsweep at the tip. That's just my opinion.
yep!! my 240mm TC blade just about everything LEFTY describe! not a true Japanese single bevel(no ura) but close enough. weight 228g, spine wide 3mm, heel height 51mm. TC blade gyuto cut really nice but it will wedge on extra tall hard root vegetable. I purchased this gyuto to learn how to cut/sharpen Japanese single bevel knife, very interesting knife to working with....

Cclin- that is a nice blade there!!

i have never used a true single bevel with ura, but i sharpen most of my gyutos with a 70/30. My last one from Luke Snyder is an 80/20 or even 90/10 very asymmetric. The knife is super sharp. and i quite like it. However i dont see how a true single bevel would help you. If your bevel is too wide on the front it will cause steering i would think.

+! We have a winner. And it is in no way a substitute for a gyuto.
Thanks PT/KK. I agree with KK's other statement though: once I got a single-bevel (a few days ago to be honest) I view it as something totally different from the double-bevel profiles like gyuto. Like trying to compare a screwdriver to a crescent wrench.

If you just want something with an asymmetrical grind then there are plenty of options. If you actually want something with an "true single bevel grind", then the only ones I can think of are the Suinsin Momizi funayuki in gin3 or white steel (gin3 only goes up to 210mm) or the Sakai Takayuki Denshin Denshou line, both pretty expensive though. Here's some links:

http://www.chefsarmoury.com/kitchen...denshin-denshou-240mm-wa-gyuto/prod_1325.html
http://www.suisin.co.jp/English/dreamcraft/momizi/index.htm

Cheers,
Josh

just a few things for reference:
kiritsuke= combination of yanagiba and usuba
mirorishi deba= combination of yanagiba and deba
funayuki= thin deba used for aji, saba, etc.

and single bevel gyutos do exist, they just tend to be made by western custom makers based on a misunderstanding of japanese knives (like many people seem to think that all japanese knives are single bevel, but dont understand the way the knives are constructed or the what the single bevel knives are often used for)

Also, once an for all, kiritsuke ≠ gyuto

Well, I guess it's things like this that confuse people, a so-called 'kiritsuke-gyuto'

1044041_598047876892728_940817894_n.jpg

So not a real kiritsuke then? I suppose it's a gyuto with a kiritsuke-shaped tip?

yes, you are correct... that is not a kiritsuke. It is, however, a gyuto... just one that happens to have the kiritsuke-style tip. It is a double bevel knife.

I saw someone post a pic of a single bevel gyuto on the newest knife but section. That's what really sparked my interest. It just seems like it would be a fun knife for me. I am so highly addicted to knives now. You guys have turned me into an addict!

Gotta love this place. There's always something new to learn.

Back