Quantcast
Single bevel gyuto - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Single bevel gyuto

I also saw this black mirror finished single bevel gyuto a while back on the site not allowed here. But it was outrageous prices. Probably reasonable prices for the finish.... I was just looking for something more humble.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

The knife I'm referring to is made by an itto-ryu. Do you know of him or have you tried any of his knives Jon?
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    nope
    Why? Sounds interesting to me.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

No single bevel grind, no to sharpening 99% / 1% on the primary edge, or or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Why? Sounds interesting to me.
    edge would be too fragile for gyuto work repeatedly hitting the board; single bevel would steer terribly in food items taller than the bevel; would wedge in tall food items due to thick spine - most single bevel knives (except something like a fugubiki) are thicker at the spine than most gyuto (expect something like a Heiji, Kato, etc).
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

i've seen them in person, and sharpened some, but not what mark is calling black mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    edge would be too fragile for gyuto work repeatedly hitting the board; single bevel would steer terribly in food items taller than the bevel; would wedge in tall food items due to thick spine - most single bevel knives (except something like a fugubiki) are thicker at the spine than most gyuto (expect something like a Heiji, Kato, etc).
    my experience with TC blade gyuto, I don't feel edge is fragile with the micro bevel on back side. I agree it has steer & wedge issue when cutting food taller than shinogi line.....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Just go and grab PT's newly listed Suisin Gin Momiji up in B/S/T.

Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    Maybe you mean this Ajikataya? Heavily asymmetric, but not 1-bevelled.
    its close to 50/50... i know that knife... its got that same bevel on the other side
    Quote Originally Posted by Patatas Bravas View Post
    I haven't seen it in person - just paraphrasing Von Blewitt, the proud owner, who told me something to this effect.
    having seen more of hinoura-san's work than anyone here and also having spent more time in his workshop, i feel very comfortable saying that that particular knife has the same looking bevel on the other side. The edge itself may be asymmetric, but thats about it. I've got a some of that line here in front of me to confirm.
    Well, if that's the only proof you can come up with then I'm not at all convinced!