Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Takamura vs. Takamura Pro?

Takamura vs. Takamura Pro?

Hey Everyone,

So I'm always looking to learn more about knives and see what's out there in the cool Gyuto world. I have never tried any of the Powdered Metal Steels before and in searching a bit Takamura has come up a couple times with what look to be some pretty neat laser thin gyuto's in R2 (SG-2). They have a couple lines but specifically the "regular red handle" and the Pro are the one's that interest me. These knives also look DROP DEAD sexy to me especially the red handle ones....

Was wondering if anyone has experience with both of these and could compare or comment on them? Experience with either knife is great too, just looking to try and get some info together here, the bits I have found are all kinda scattered so far....

Also, anyone know what is up with all the extra chiseled writing on the one's from MTC Kitchen? The photo's show some extra stuff like the name Takamura in all caps and the High Speed Tool Steel below it that no other sellers I have seen (KnifeWear, Knives, CKTG, Fine Japanese Kitchen Knives, Chubo, Chef's Armory etc...) have on them....

Anyone buy from MTC Kitchen before either? They are new to me while I have heard of all the others in my () before

For Reference
    Red Handle
    http://www.mtckitchen.com/p-768-taka...yuto-21cm.aspx
    Pro
    http://www.mtckitchen.com/p-691-taka...pro-gyuto.aspx

I got my Takamura from the MTC store in NYC. They are a physical Japanese kitchen/restaurant in the middle of new york with locations in Japan as well.

I have the red handle 210mm Gyuto. Its relegated to fruit duty so mine doesn't have that much board time. The blade is super thin, very light knife. my only issue that I found was that the handle was on the narrow side, but that's personal preference.

As for the Red vs Black (Pro), looking at the pictures on the site I noticed that my red handle is a 3/4 tang and the pro line is a full tang. If you look closely at the red handle you can see that the tang is only 3/4 the height of the handle. Also the pro line looks like it has a forged bolster while mine has a soldered bolster (you can see the lines in the website). The F&F looks much better in the proline then the red handle, you also get a saya with the pro. That said I'm very happy with the my red Takumura.

For the logo I'm sure its all marketing, Its easier to sell a Japanese knife to a western market with Kanji then with a English logo. From my brief chat with the sales lady while I was there, she mentioned that the products they sell in the NYC store is the exact product they sell in Japan. So perhaps the English logo is for the Japanese domestic market?

You can see the tang here http://www.messerforum.net/showthrea...O-Gyuto-210-R2

"High Speed Powdered Steel (HSPS)*"

It looks like the knife is really made of powdered HIGH SPEED STEEL. Of course a pm high speed steel fits better to knives than a non pm, but I wouldn't try it. Are there any decent HSS knives in use on the forum?

I gave one of the red ones to my sister ( home cook) and she has some nice knives. She has small hands and now only uses the Takamura. It has stayed sharp and is extremely thin. Yo handles do not suit me personally.

mtckitchen calls R2 HSPS, lately I got it

Interesting point about the japanese domestic market vs. having the kanji on it to help it sell in the us. That is a plausible reason, i called MTC today and they didnt have an explaination just stated again that what they have is what is sold in japan.

That said, anyone able to comment more on performance of the pro vs. Red handle? Or if the pro version has a bigger handle than the red? Have read a few places that the red handle is pretty small for mens hands....

Also, any idea on spine and choil rounding etc...?

Thanks

I have seven Takamura knives from each of the following lines: Hana, R2 (red handle), Pro (formerly Blazen).

Here's a pic of three of them (hopefully):
    Attachment 26338

The spines and choils are slightly rounded, enough just to take the edge off so that you can use it to slide foodstuffs around (if you don't like to drag your edge) without resistance, but not semi circles by any means. They're definitely more rounded than my Misono Swedish Steel. I have no complaints, but I don't cook for a living so can't comment on what hours of continuous use would be like, YMMV.

The R2s are definitely thinner and therefore have pros (laser) and cons (not as well suited for heavier cutting) IMO. You'll need to think of what you want to use your knife/knives for.

Apparently MTC deals directly with Takamura San, while the majority of other sellers get thru a major Japanese distributor. I got my Hanas and Pros from MTC but my R2s in Canada.

Regarding the R2 vs. The Pro lines, which did you prefer? I already own a fairly stout Wusthof Classic for heavy work so that isnt a concern for me. The knife would be used for fruit and veggie work and sometimes cutting a sandwich or protein but that is the minority of the time. I have other knives for splitting a squash/watermelon/cantalope etc....

Considering this would you go for the R2 or splurge for the Pro? The Pro would be a fairly big expense for me compared to the R2 but i would consider it....

Forgot to add,is the handle on the Pro line any larger in width or girth than that of the R2? I found the red handle ones to be a bit small....

Get the thinner Pro. and let us know.