Quantcast
Single bevel gyuto - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single bevel gyuto

TC Blades gyutos are heavy, in your face, solid, gyutos with a "virtual single bevel", as I call it. The micro bevel is more like a regular bevel on a laser (small, but definitely there). The bevel on the other side, however, is done just like any single bevel knife. It creates a very different feeling gyuto, but they really are worth experiencing. I like mine quite a bit (and I' sayin this, not as a vendor, but as a member, since I don't have his gyutos on my site).

As for what makes a "single bevel gyuto" different than a deba. In my opinion, that's blade thickness, no ura and much less upsweep at the tip. That's just my opinion.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

IIRC, there is a yanagiba profile and a more "regular profile" for kiritsuke. But in terms of use, i remember seeing somewhere saying a kiritsuke more or less serves the same function as a gyuto (does pretty much everything).

I've had no difficulty banging away with my asymmetric grind gyutos and producing paper-thin slices of cucumber. I don't know where a single bevel will help you that much. Learning how to use an usuba requires some time.

my single bevel old hickory 10 inch chef knife (bought it that way) works the same way as any other chef knife i've used.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    TC Blades gyutos are heavy, in your face, solid, gyutos with a "virtual single bevel", as I call it. The micro bevel is more like a regular bevel on a laser (small, but definitely there). The bevel on the other side, however, is done just like any single bevel knife. It creates a very different feeling gyuto, but they really are worth experiencing. I like mine quite a bit (and I' sayin this, not as a vendor, but as a member, since I don't have his gyutos on my site).As for what makes a "single bevel gyuto" different than a deba. In my opinion, that's blade thickness, no ura and much less upsweep at the tip. That's just my opinion.
    If there's no ura, is it actually a single-bevel? Or is that just part of a "japanese single-bevel?"
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I thought kiritsuke was a cross btween a deba and a yanagiba?
    I think it's yanagi and usuba
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I hope Jon will chime in on this because I always thought a Kiritsuke was a Gyuto/Yanagi cross.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I think Brad is asking this because(I think) he is really really really wanting to get into the single-bevel world.
    Brad, I think once you get to use/own one, you probably wouldn't really want a gyuto with a single bevel. Yes, my traditional single-bevel knives are awesome and scary-sharp, but the edges tend to be fragile and are better suited to each task they were originally created for.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I am pretty sure yanigiba/deba combo is a Mioroshi deba.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    TC Blades gyutos are heavy, in your face, solid, gyutos with a "virtual single bevel", as I call it. The micro bevel is more like a regular bevel on a laser (small, but definitely there). The bevel on the other side, however, is done just like any single bevel knife. It creates a very different feeling gyuto, but they really are worth experiencing. I like mine quite a bit (and I' sayin this, not as a vendor, but as a member, since I don't have his gyutos on my site).

As for what makes a "single bevel gyuto" different than a deba. In my opinion, that's blade thickness, no ura and much less upsweep at the tip. That's just my opinion.
    yep!! my 240mm TC blade just about everything LEFTY describe! not a true Japanese single bevel(no ura) but close enough. weight 228g, spine wide 3mm, heel height 51mm. TC blade gyuto cut really nice but it will wedge on extra tall hard root vegetable. I purchased this gyuto to learn how to cut/sharpen Japanese single bevel knife, very interesting knife to working with....

Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!