Help Please Identifying Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoftyNotions

Reaction score
On a recent trip to visit my daughter I saw this cleaver hanging on a magnetic rack in her kitchen. It belongs to her SO, and was "inherited" in a somewhat convoluted fashion. It was a favorite of the previous owner. The blade is stainless san mai with a carbon steel core.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry
jqlg.jpg

kubm.jpg

rdf8.jpg

dm6d.jpg

I'm assuming its sharpened on both sides... The style of knife is a Nakiri bōchō. The nakiri is a vegetable chopping knife with an easy to sharpen Western style double ground blade. The boxy shape comes from the traditional Japanese usuba knife, also used for chopping and making katsuramuki style vegetable sheets.

I'm gonna assume it's an old tojiro dp

there are a few other companies that use the term "dp" on their knife lines. i'm not familiar with all of them but i have seen them on ebay. they might be one of those. =D

This looks like some other 70's era mass produced J knives I've seen. Which isn't to imply that it's an inferior knife.

I believe it is a Hiromoto. I think they used to stamp it in Jp, but no too sure how long ago. The two things I can read are "registered" and "hagane" and of course the DP and Japan.

DP = Decarburization Prevention....currently patented by Tojiro.

Basically fancy words for high carbon.

Back