Quantcast
Question on Sanding down tang
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Sanding down tang

Question on Sanding down tang

Can anyone give advice on how to go about sanding down the tang of a handle to make it flush with the wood scales? I have a nenox whose tang is ever so slightly raised on the top of the handle on one side only. Can i just sand it down manually by hand? what grit should i use? and how do i finish it so it will be back to the same finish as before. Its a quince wood handle. The wood didnt shrink i think from the factory the tang was a bit off on one side wasnt ground flush completely. Doesnt really affect holding the knife its more of an annoyance i would like to resolve more than anything. thanks

I'd recommend covering the scales with some thick sort of masking tape and going at the tang with a low grit and work up to the grit that makes the finish match the rest of the knife. You can polish it out with mud from a 5000+ stone when you are done as well. Good luck, make sure you cover the entire scales so no mistakes mess up your nice handle!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

You'll need some sort of block, so you don't sand down any wood. Start aggressively and work up to maybe 800 grit...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

You'll need some sort of block,
    What type of block would this be?

Belt grinder.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Depending on the HT on the tang a fresh file might be easier and faster to knock it down then polish to match.

If I may interject. Rather then sanding down the tang. How about oiling the wood handle so it re hydrates the wood.. which should allow it to swell a bit and problem solved.

Then if this does not work. try the sanding approach.

God Bless
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by ms4awd View Post
    What type of block would this be?
    A sanding block. They sell them at Lowes. I just wrap sandpaper around a 2x4 scrap, or some other form of scrap wood.

If I may interject. Rather then sanding down the tang. How about oiling the wood handle so it re hydrates the wood.. which should allow it to swell a bit and problem solved.

Then if this does not work. try the sanding approach.
    Yes i have been applying oil every few days for the past 10 days or so. After 2 or 3 days the scales start looking dry again, were you referring to soaking the handle in oil? ive been using camelia/tsubaki oil. Im not quite sure if its the wood scales or the knife just needs to be finished better.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I would try soaking it in mineral oil 1st, it doesn't have to be Camelia/Tsubaki. If this doesn't help, you could always coat it and sand it (would be a long process) with Tru-Oil, sanding in between applications until the finish meets the height of the tang.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon