Quantcast
The Santoku phenomenon - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Santoku phenomenon

I use a santoku for almost all of my cooking.

The reason is that it has a high wall good curvature from the tip to the mid and a long flat. This complements my cooking technique quite well. I am able to move quickly and efficiently. I find a Gyuto of the same size useful but the long sweet and short flat does not work as well for me.

I like using nakiri but for different tasks like match book fry cuts for example, that being said I am not as quick using my nakiri over my santoku.

Even when I was doing work in professional kitchens I found my self grabbing for my Santoku over any other knife.

But that is what is beautiful about knives, they are an item that is personal and people find preferences in some designs over others.

I like it drew, great feedback
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

If you have space, it will never beat a gyuto.

If you are a home cook with limited space, I will argue for the benefits of the Santoku.

First, it is TALL - and anyone who likes to push-cut rapidly in chopping sessions understands why this is useful. It can do what a nakiri does (but not quite as well). I'll take a 50 inch heel over a 44 inch heel of a small gyuto any day. This is personal preference. Secondly, it is able to do some tip work unlike a nakiri. It is not a gyuto, but you are looking at compromises here.

You can stop bashing the Santoku. Obviously, its uses are limited in a professional kitchen. But in a home kitchen with limited space, it really is a quiver of one.

It is an all purpose mid-size knife and that is what most people that aren't fanatics about their culinary cutlery like we are want. I've used them in the past but I have so many more specialized knives now there isn't much point. I have noticed they are very popular over a wide part of Asia outside Japan too.

The santoku is incredibly popular with the public at large because the vast majority of them have never heard of gyuto, nakiri, petty, or any of the single bevels, and even if they had they wouldn't be willing to pay for them. That leaves them with a choice between a German style chef or a santoku. Sense most home cooks don't actually do a lot of rock chopping, they find the santoku pretty awesome. Hell, just last Christmas (before I caught my addiction from you bastiges') I was STOKED to get a Hinckels 7" santoku (WITH GRANTONS ). Remember guys, we're a statistically negligible part of the knife owning populace. As to santokus not having a pointy tip, that's what 6" utility and steak knives are for
    Available handles- [url]http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkriggen/library/Available20handles[/url]

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Not a big fan of the ones I've used, but I believe they were all a bit too short at ~165. Seeing Micioarcs (sp) Shig in the newest purchase thread makes me want to try a longer one.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Hell, Takeda calls his banno bunkas, nice marketing they seem to get respect.
    The only knives i throw a dirty glance at in a kitchen would be poorly maintained ones. Knives are awesome, but the most important thing in cooking is heart.
    Generally speaking i would never prefer a santoku, but they can be awesome line and prep knives if you do a lot of veg based work and push cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    It is an all purpose mid-size knife and that is what most people that aren't fanatics about their culinary cutlery like we are want. I've used them in the past but I have so many more specialized knives now there isn't much point. I have noticed they are very popular over a wide part of Asia outside Japan too.
    They are popular all over.All Santokus are not created equal,fr. cheap Walmart to thin edged in excellent steel.All purpose mid size is a good thing.I like forward push cuts,that's why I like cleavers.I think they are shorter versions of the more traditional Japanese drop nose Gyuto.I like Santoku's too and not the least bit shy to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDispossessed View Post
    Hell, Takeda calls his banno bunkas, nice marketing they seem to get respect.
    First, I believe it's "bunka banno"

Second, don't be calling my bunka banno a santoku!
    (I like to think of it as a small kiritsuke style gyuto)
    Available handles- [url]http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkriggen/library/Available20handles[/url]

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

I consider my Takeda funayuki a santoku. It's my FAVORITE santoku. ^_^ I just sold the Banno Bunka. Great little performer. It's hard not to like a knife with that kind of name.