Quantcast
The Santoku phenomenon - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Santoku phenomenon

Good one. I never asked anyone to try and change my opinion. But I would believe putting my opinion in my thread would be reasonable. And again I think your santoku was made for a girl. I don't think I've been closed minded and ignorant however. I am searching for the reasons why people but and use these knives. That is being open minded to other people's ideas.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    Good one. I never asked anyone to try and change my opinion. But I would believe putting my opinion in my thread would be reasonable. And again I think your santoku was made for a girl. I don't think I've been closed minded and ignorant however. I am searching for the reasons why people but and use these knives. That is being open minded to other people's ideas.
    Brad, I think you misunderstand my point. I would never question your right to state your opinion, in this thread or any other. It's yours, you own it, you can do what ever you want with it. My issue is that you requested the forums opinion, received 20 thoughtful responses (only counting the ones that actually try to answer the original question), many from some of our most respected members, then you didn't just disregard them, you mocked them. That sir is close minded, ignorant, and disrespectful.

Ok, I'm done, be well
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

I usually will avoid wasting time on threads like this, but the idea of a certain shape of knife being a "Girlie" knife is absolutely ridiculous. People use what works for them and what they are comfortable with. There are no knives that have gender specifications...

Go BLACKHAWKS!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I think Rachael Ray, in particular, had an impact on us kitchen cooks, while using a santoku. One of my first knives was a MAC Superior santoku and I loved using it. I kept it blazing sharp and sliced off the side of my index knuckle a few times while trimming up lettuce bunches in my garden. I learned how to sharpen on stones with it, an inexpensive combo stone, and never regretted buying, owning or using it. I've since passed it on to my sister, who uses it daily, while I've moved toward heavier, longer chef's knives, ks profiles, usually of my own making. I think the majority of home cooks are or would be well-served by a santoku of some sort, and would be as happy as a pig in *&^% with it, unlike those long, pointy knives. :-)
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post

Go BLACKHAWKS!
    This is the best part of this thread, but I'm biased.

My santoku.. a Henckels twin series has been heavily used and experimented with when I got into sharpening. .. testing of the various stones and also mirror polishing exercise. Very worn out i terms of blade height and has been tasked to do some serious stuff..

a) opening of durians.. to pry open the durian.. from the bottom where there is a confluence of lines, poke it in and twist it and "spread it apart and what's between them it is passport to paradise"... ( a statement made by AL pacino in Scent of a Woman"

b)To pry open crabs.. removing the top shell.

perhaps the wide nose/tip makes it suitable for this

A preferred knife of ladies maybe.. but it is still highly functional. I still use it from time to time..

rgds
    d

I think you have too much spare time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post

I think so too
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

aren't santokus marketed by the knife makers in japan towards tourists? since it had such a unique shape it just caught on.

i dunno.

I have a crap santoku that i still use often when i dont feel like cleaning my good knives. It is fine for my needs (when its a smaller job) and i can just wash it and let it air dry in the rack, but when I am actually doing prep work for a meal, something reasonably large, then i always grab my 240 gyuto, likely because it is a better knife and cuts better too, but also I am lazy and therefore i can justify taking the extra few mins time to clean it lol

+ Reply to Thread