Quantcast
The Santoku phenomenon - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Santoku phenomenon

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHL View Post
    [...]
    Its all about personal preference, if they are comfortable with what they have, then who am I to question their choice of cutlery. Cause at the end of the day knives are just tools that enable us to make/cook great food. [...]
    absolute truth here!

Quote Originally Posted by tgraypots View Post
    I think Rachael Ray, in particular, had an impact on us kitchen cooks, while using a santoku...
    Had an impact? No doubt!
    But the timeline is interesting. The first santuko I used - a Cutco - and the first one I bought - a Wusthof without kullens -both around 1996, preceded RR's Food Network debut by 5 years.
    Point being if Cutco & Wusthof had santukos in the late 90's, they were mainstream before RR.

Well, I have recieved a carter funayuki (santoku) in the mail from Kaleab. I'm gonna give this thing a whirl and see what all the fuss is about! It's the first carter I've ever used so I'm pretty excited with that as well. It's super light and thin. I think it's gonna be amazing for veggie prep. It might help me change my mind on the santokus.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    ...a carter funayuki (santoku)...
    Usually, a Carter Funy is shaped like, well, a funy. Which is very similar to a gyuto. His wabocho is usually shaped like a santoku. Usually, anyway...
    Either way, his knives are pretty nice, especially as 'users', so have fun

i think very highly of santokus for the same reasons as stated numerous times before, flat profile and tall. just wish they made longer ones. would absolutely LOVE to have a 10" santoku.

Some 'vintage' Takeda gyutos have a santoku-like profile.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I was thinking about this recently....and wondering if it was a double-bevel version of the kamagata usuba.
    Just tell people it's a Kamagata Nakiri, which is better than their Santoku.

The first J-knife I bought, I think, was a Tojiro Shirogami Santoku. I still love the thing. It takes a great edge.

Cheers,

Jack

The way I see it is whatever floats your boat and works for you then by all means use it and enjoy it whether its a santoku, cleaver, nakiri,gyuto,petty or any other knife that you enjoy using. There is no right or wrong when it comes to how you enjoy using your knife. I have a couple a few Santoku knives and I use them when I feel like it. I have a Shun Premier, a Mac and a cheap Sabatier that I picked up for 9.99. The funny thing is I've been practicing my sharpening skills on this knife with a 1000/6000 stone and a couple of strops with fine and extra fine compound and its now my sharpest knife I own. I'm sure I can put a sharper edge on my Shun and Mac but until I've perfected my technique I'm not touching any of my nice Japanese knives with the stones.

hope this helps !!!

Last year I bought a Yaxell 165mm santoku in aogami #2, and so far I love it. It's nice and thin, easy to sharpen to a wicked edge, and holds it's edge very well. It is considerably thinner and has more distal taper than the Rader, Shig, or Ryusen shown in post #35. I only use it for vegetables, so the the whole 'three virtues' thing has no meaning for me.
    A santoku is much better for cutting on a board than a petty, IMO. Now that I think about it, it's my petty that I can't seem to find a use for. Too big for in hand work, too small and not enough heel for board work.

im currently in discussion with one well regarded jmaker about possibly making a 255mm custom santoku. its a shame a knife like this isnt already in production somewhere as i think there could be a decent market for them. my only knock on santoku knives is that theyre wayyyy too short for my work needs. also, theres alot of profile variation with santokus just like with gyutos.