New Burke - SG2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdrewsiferx

Reaction score
91392_1_b.jpg

91392_2_b.jpg

91392_3_b.jpg

91392_4_b.jpg

91392_5_b.jpg

91392_6_b.jpg

91392_7_b.jpg

Chef's Knife (Gyuto) with Damascus San Mai and Ebony (8-1/2 in)

Product Description for Chef's Knife (Gyuto) with Damascus San Mai and Ebony (8-1/2 in)
Maker: Bill Burke, M.S. (click to see more by this maker)
Price: $1,925.00
Item num: 91392
*** This is handmade and one-of-a-kind ***
Blade length: 8.50 in.
Total length: 14.25 in.
Blade width: 1.90 in.
Blade thickness: 0.10 in.
Item weight: 6.00 oz.
Blade: San mai blade combining a powdered metallurgical (PM) SG2 stainless steel core with stainless damascus sides
Bolster: Buffalo horn
Handle: Ebony wood
Description: Bill Burke, who was honored as a Master Smith June 2008, creates hunting knives and culinary knives. His work is frequently noted as being among the best in the world -- both in his understanding of design and the keen, long lasting edges. His knives are a pleasure to hold and a joy to use.
This high performance chef's knife is a perfect choice as a primary knife in the kitchen. The long, deep-bellied blade is well suited for slicing vegetables and meats. The gentle arc of the cutting edge is perfect for a rocking, chopping motion with plenty of finger clearance over a cutting board.
The blade was hand forged in a technique known as san mai. A dramatic damascus is forged to the sides of a high performance SG2 PM stainless steel. The bright, swirling pattern created from stainless steel and nickel is offset by the darkened SG2 core.
The traditional Japanese octagonal handle is formed from dark toned ebony. The traditional octogonal shape, affords ergonomic control and comfort -- even when used for many hours. This handle shape, while being different from Western handles quickly becomes a favorite. A jet black buffalo horn ferrule completes the handle. The knife has perfect balance and feels exceptional in the hand.

I have to say I'm not much of a fan of random damascus, but this one really looks interesting. Reminds me of looking at an old relief map. This will be a great score for someone.

So this is the Sg2 Damascus Bill was talking about. Looks like the best of both worlds, visually stunning and a great cutter.

That has got to be the coolest, most barbaric, over the top jigane/hagane border I have ever seen! :viking:

Very nice! I should try to pay you a visit before this sells. :)

This is actually the first blade that I made from this steel. test results can be read in the thread "sg2 core damascus san mai" thread in my sub forum. it has been deep etched and lightly buffed.

Anybody else notice that Drew's avatar pic looks like he's in a police lineup? I'm just saying :chin:

I got it about two hours ago. Had my eye on it for weeks. Will put up pics when it get hear.

You'll have to let us know how the SG2 compares to Bills 52100
ChucktheButcher has several Burke knives and so will be able to a good side by side comparison! I've been amazed in my testing of SG2 vs 52100 -- both with Bill's heat treatment. The SG2 is an amazing performer!

-daniel

I'll be sure to let every one know how it compares. Can't wait to see for my self.

There is a pretty cool forge finish santoku up now for under 1k. I've never seen a forge finish Burke like that. Somebody should jump on it.

There is a pretty cool forge finish santoku up now for under 1k. I've never seen a forge finish Burke like that. Somebody should jump on it.

Chuck, you have never seen one because the two that Daniel has are the first ones that I have done. but there will be more.

Back