Dinner in Raleigh with MuchoBocho

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
MuchoBocho was extremely generous and gracious in having my wife and I over for dinner with his family. We met at the farmer's market, and had a nice BBQ lunch, and shopped a bit for veg. Then he and I went back to his house while my wife went back to the RV to take a break from the Knerding. We spent some hours looking at each other's knives and he showed me how to do the 3-finger test...no fingers were injured in the process. I also had the chance to try some proper stroppging on balsa and leather with boron and diamond compounds, respectively....I can see this will be in my future. He has an incredible kitchen. Vacuum chamber, tumblers, suous vid, sausage grinder, sausage filler, awesome garden.....seeing it all and experiencing some of the products of it is going to cost me some money! Here are a few photos from the evening.We started off by making a rosemary-infused vodka using the ISI. Was very nice, surprisingly strongly flavored for only 15 minutes or so of steeping.
9111991967_9ee761724b.jpg
9114196600_177f2e2703.jpg
9114190198_cd88203c1a.jpg
9114178666_2446946c56.jpg
9111951109_bac986160f.jpg
9114169572_fa51d5121c.jpg
9114145804_09a4c3efe4.jpg
9111895511_f9f539ed39.jpg
9111874219_6f4cf5a46c.jpg
9111849763_d71a39ee30.jpg
9111834011_f0e8e92a07.jpg
9114030780_46e87e046d.jpg
The jowls were amazing...crispy pork fatty goodness. The sausages were exellent, as was the kale--which was amazingly meaty itself, I'm now a kale fan! He also broke out some chicken and garlic sausage which was even better than the pork sausages.

i haven't had breakfast yet and these pix are making me hungry!

Looks beautiful, I admit, I do envy you your trip a little bit ;) But I appreciate you posting pictures of it :D

Stefan

Looks beautiful, I admit, I do envy you your trip a little bit ;) But I appreciate you posting pictures of it :DStefan
You come with us...if you do the driving. Almost 2,000 miles so far....I promise no pictures of that part though! :razz:Very much enjoying myself though, first real vacation in about 6 years.

That looks so good! I'm quiet jealous. Thank you for posting pictures from your trip. :D

Great, clear picts, DO. And I think you've invented a whole new travel niche: the KKF tour. Explore some place rich with KKF members, get the word out, then hook up and get fed like a king (by some obviously generous people).

The SU and I are happy you've found a new veg too.

Heh, I tried to encourage Jon + Sarah to do this...get a JKI RV and make a trip around the country.....maybe KOA living isn't for Venetians?I forgot a couple of pics from Sat night. Even MuchoBocho's daughters get in on the actiokn:
9119110087_25a542e7da.jpg
This is his oldest, using her own knife to make sweet-n-sour apples for me--she sprinkled the apples with malic acid to make a more healthy version of Sour Patch Kids (one of my guilty pleasures, actually)! His youngest then made a version with English Cucumbers...which was better than you'd guess. I also got to visit with their pet mice and hermit crabs. MB is a great father to these young ladies.

Are you heading up this way?
I wish I was....I've got to turn around after I get to fleetwood though. I do come to NJ occasionally for work...and Manhattan...will definitely look to connect when I'm headed that way.

Heh, I tried to encourage Jon + Sarah to do this...get a JKI RV and make a trip around the country.....maybe KOA living isn't for Venetians?I forgot a couple of pics from Sat night. Even MuchoBocho's daughters get in on the actiokn:
9119110087_25a542e7da.jpg
This is his oldest, using her own knife to make sweet-n-sour apples for me--she sprinkled the apples with malic acid to make a more healthy version of Sour Patch Kids (one of my guilty pleasures, actually)! His youngest then made a version with English Cucumbers...which was better than you'd guess. I also got to visit with their pet mice and hermit crabs. MB is a great father to these young ladies.
Check out the technique too: pinch grip, claw hand...she's going to be showing me up in a couple of years!

Cooking in my home kitchen isn't fun, lol, way way to small, but when you head here, we will nerd out on beer and brewin and bread at the brewery. Hope you like some funky beers, been messing with a lot of wild yeast lately, and my first lambic.

That dinner looks amazing BTW!! And the sour cucumber sounds pretty good, I'll have to try that sometime.

Wow man, that all looks so nice. Food looks awesome Mucho and family. Congrats on the vaca Zwi, well deserved after 6 years. Keep posting pics. Good stuff here :)

Cooking in my home kitchen isn't fun, lol, way way to small, but when you head here, we will nerd out on beer and brewin and bread at the brewery. Hope you like some funky beers, been messing with a lot of wild yeast lately, and my first lambic. That dinner looks amazing BTW!! And the sour cucumber sounds pretty good, I'll have to try that sometime.
Glad it's not just me that thinks the tangy-cuke is a good idea! I absolutely LOVE lambic...I have a gueze in my fridge right now, waiting on the mood to strike! I've had all kinds of funky stuff from the brewery. I even made a blueberry lambic at home some years ago,...obvoiusly, I didn't give it the full multi-year treatment they get in belgium...it didn't last very long anyway :eek: Stoked about seeing you near gettysburg!

Back